Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Ea...@EAS.San-Jose.CA.US on 2001/04/06 18:48:24 UTC

Re: 'Just say no to JSP'

Why has the tomcat-dev list become a Velocity advocacy list??
Isn't the purpose of this list supposed to be for communation between
Tomcat developers?  Is velocity recruiting or something?

=eas=

Re: 'Just say no to JSP'

Posted by Paul Speed <Pa...@metrixpoint.com>.

Paulo Gaspar wrote:

> Earl,
>
> If you think one should not discuss the merits of JSP here, you should
> not take part on it even if to defend JSP.
>
> If you agree we should talk about the pros and cons of JSPs, it is hard
> to talk about the cons of JSP in a constructive way without pointing
> alternatives. Can one just say it is bad without pointing alternatives
> and still give worthy input?
>
> Or do you just want to talk about the pros?
> =;o)
>
> Clearly, there are some problems with JSPs. Supporting a clear
> separation between logic (scripting) and presentation (templating) is
> not easy to enforce with JSPs. And this is a discussion going on in
> many forums.
>
> Now, JSPs are nice for scripting stuff (when you want to code and see
> the result with no compiling/restarts). I even thought of using JSPs
> for the scripting with Velocity for templating!!! And this is not such
> new idea since there are people using JSPs with XSLT for the same
> purposes.
>
> But XSLT just makes things too hard. Too much cost for not enough
> profit. I just converted a XSLT based application to Velocity and I
> sure know what I am talking about.
>
> Maybe JSPs just need something extra for the templating side. Maybe
> JSPs can learn that from Velocity/WebMacro template engines.
>
> And this list is one of the best spots to talk about this. The right
> people read this. * Isn't Tomcat the reference JSP implementation? *

	Is is.  But the tomcat team doesn't set the spec, it just
implements it.

	-Paul

RE: 'Just say no to JSP'

Posted by Paulo Gaspar <pa...@krankikom.de>.
Earl,

Re: 'Just say no to JSP'

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Fri, 6 Apr 2001, Jon Stevens wrote:

> on 4/6/01 9:48 AM, "Earl.Stutes@EAS.San-Jose.CA.US"
> <Ea...@EAS.San-Jose.CA.US> wrote:
>
> > Why has the tomcat-dev list become a Velocity advocacy list??
> > Isn't the purpose of this list supposed to be for communation between
> > Tomcat developers?  Is velocity recruiting or something?
> >
> > =eas=
>
> Yes!
>
> :-)

Velocity advocacy is a fine thing for those interested in it.

Unfortunately, it's off topic for TOMCAT-DEV.  Can we please stop drowning
out the legitimate discussions this list is for?

> -jon

Craig

Re: 'Just say no to JSP'

Posted by Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.
<Ea...@EAS.San-Jose.CA.US> wrote:

> Why has the tomcat-dev list become a Velocity advocacy list??
> Isn't the purpose of this list supposed to be for communation between
> Tomcat developers?  Is velocity recruiting or something?
>
> =eas=

Yes!

:-)

-jon