Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Dimitri Yioulos <dy...@firstbhph.com> on 2006/03/07 15:42:59 UTC

[users@httpd] Reverse proxy help

Hello to all.

I must be the lamest person in the world - can't seem to get reverse proxy
right.

Some info.:  apache 2.0.16 running on CentOS 3.6.

I have added a redirect directive to httpd.conf so that when a user goes to
http://www.mywebsite.com/webmail, he/she ends up at
https://mailserver.mydomain.com/webmail.pl.  I think I want to do a reverse
proxy so that the webmail interface looks like it's coming from
http://www.mywebserver.com.  Is this a valid use of reverse proxy?  If so,
how do I set it up?  I've tried:

ProxyPassReverse /webmail https://mailserver.mydomain.com/webmail.pl

and a few other things, but it doesn't work.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Dimitri

believed to be clean.

Re: [users@httpd] Reverse proxy help

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On 3/7/06, Dimitri Yioulos <dy...@firstbhph.com> wrote:

> I did just that, and got an internal server error message.  error_log shows
> the following:
>
> [Tue Mar 07 13:26:24 2006] [error] SSL Proxy requested for
> www.mywebserver.com:443 but not enabled [Hint: SSLProxyEngine]
> [Tue Mar 07 13:26:24 2006] [error] proxy: failed to enable ssl support for
> 192.168.1.2:443 (mail.mydomain.com)
>
> I don't know what I'm supposed to do to fix the first error. Regarding the
> second, as I stated earlier, redirect works just fine for this scenario,
> serving up an SSL'd login to my webail program.

The the documentation for the directive SSLProxyEngine.

Joshua.

[users@httpd] Re: [Possible SPAM]Re: [users@httpd] Reverse proxy help

Posted by François Conil <co...@ece.fr>.
Dimitri Yioulos a écrit :

> Thanks for your response.
>
> My apache installation is RPM-based, so recompiling is not an option.
> That being said, I do have ssl support enabled (mod_ssl is installed).
>
> Regarding the SSLProxyEngine problem I had, at first I tried adding that
> directive to ssl.conf - apache didn't like that. So, I added it to
> httpd.conf - apache was happy, both errors gone. So now, I get to the
> webmail login page(OK, it's actually OpenWebmail), but not in ssl mode.
> In other words, instead of seeing
> https://www.mywebserver.com/dir/dir/openwebmail.pl, I see
> http://www.mywebserver.com/dir/dir/openwebmail.pl. That's progress, but
> not what I'm after.

You should listen to port 443 and enable only ssl connections for this
particular virtualhost.
Then only after that done, you'll redirect requests to the backend.

--
François Conil
Administrateur Systèmes et Réseaux

Re: [users@httpd] Reverse proxy help

Posted by Dimitri Yioulos <dy...@firstbhph.com>.
On Wednesday March 08 2006 8:33 am, François Conil wrote:
> Dimitri Yioulos a écrit :
> > Joshua,
> >
> > I did just that, and got an internal server error message.  error_log
> > shows the following:
> >
> > [Tue Mar 07 13:26:24 2006] [error] SSL Proxy requested for
> > www.mywebserver.com:443 but not enabled [Hint: SSLProxyEngine]
> > [Tue Mar 07 13:26:24 2006] [error] proxy: failed to enable ssl support
> > for 192.168.1.2:443 (mail.mydomain.com)
> >
> > I don't know what I'm supposed to do to fix the first error. Regarding
> > the second, as I stated earlier, redirect works just fine for this
> > scenario, serving up an SSL'd login to my webail program.
> >
> > Your continued assistance would really be appreciated.
>
> Try to compile apache again with ssl support.
> (with  mod_ssl under apache2, iirc)
>
> I had a similar problem and it solved it.
>
> Cheers,
> --
> François Conil
> Administrateur Systèmes et Réseaux
> <Pax> I wish my lawn was emo, so it would cut itself.

Thanks for your response.

My apache installation  is RPM-based, so recompiling is not an option.  That being said, I do have ssl support enabled (mod_ssl is installed).

Regarding the SSLProxyEngine problem I had, at first I tried adding that directive to ssl.conf - apache didn't like that.  So, I added it to httpd.conf - apache was happy, both errors gone.  So now, I get to the webmail login page(OK, it's actually OpenWebmail), but not in ssl mode.  In other words, instead of seeing https://www.mywebserver.com/dir/dir/openwebmail.pl, I see http://www.mywebserver.com/dir/dir/openwebmail.pl.  That's progress, but not what I'm after.

Further, if I try to log in I get an error that the path to OpenWebmail isn't found, even though it appears that I've larady reverse proxied that path.

Here's what I have now:

ProxyRequests off
ProxyVia on
SSLProxyEngine on
ProxyPass /openwebmail/ https://mail.mydomain.com/cgi-bin/openwebmail/openwebmail.pl

ProxyPass /data/ https://mail.mydomain.com/data/openwebmail/
ProxyPassReverse /openwebmail/
https://mail.mydomain.com/cgi-bin/openwebmail/openwebmail.pl

ProxyPassReverse /data/ https://mail.mydomain.com/data/openwebmail/

Line spaces are just for clarity.  The first few directives are just things I'm trying - I'm not sure what affect they have.  The directives dealing with /data/ have to do with images and other OpenWebmail pieces.  But, it seems that the only way I can get the main graphic on the log in page, though, it to specify it with the ProxyPass and ProxyPassReverse directives.

Sorry if I seem all over the place with this.  I could stick with redirection, but sense that for my purposes, this is a better way to achieve what I want - if I could only get it to work.

Dimitri
believed to be clean.

[users@httpd] Deflate + Internet Explorer 6 + iso8859-15

Posted by Ruben Rubio Rey <ru...@rentalia.com>.
I have a website that sends php web pages as iso8859-15.

I have installed deflate module. Althouth website is shown ok, explorer
is unable to show "source code".
If I set PHP to send web pages as utf-8, no problem, i.explorer can show
source code. (I can do it as a permanent solution)

Any ideas to fix it?
Could be any problem with any spider?
Is it only a [another] I.Explorer bug?

Any ideas will be apreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Ruben Rubio Rey

Re: [users@httpd] Reverse proxy help

Posted by François Conil <co...@ece.fr>.

Posted by Dimitri Yioulos <dy...@firstbhph.com>.
On Tuesday March 07 2006 11:54 am, Joshua Slive wrote:
> On 3/7/06, Dimitri Yioulos <dy...@firstbhph.com> wrote:
> > Hello to all.
> >
> > I must be the lamest person in the world - can't seem to get reverse
> > proxy right.
> >
> > Some info.:  apache 2.0.16 running on CentOS 3.6.
> >
> > I have added a redirect directive to httpd.conf so that when a user goes
> > to http://www.mywebsite.com/webmail, he/she ends up at
> > https://mailserver.mydomain.com/webmail.pl.  I think I want to do a
> > reverse proxy so that the webmail interface looks like it's coming from
> > http://www.mywebserver.com.  Is this a valid use of reverse proxy?  If
> > so, how do I set it up?  I've tried:
> >
> > ProxyPassReverse /webmail https://mailserver.mydomain.com/webmail.pl
>
> You also need