Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by ying lcs <yi...@gmail.com> on 2007/08/15 23:42:45 UTC

how to perverse file permission in subversion

Hi,

When I check in files to subversion (with executable. permission), and
then check them out again, they are no long executable.

Can you please tell me if/how can i check the file permission when
checking in/out of subversion?

Thank you.

Re: how to perverse file permission in subversion

Posted by Peter Connolly <ps...@gmail.com>.
This was already discussed (very recently) on the maillist.

Search for subject line: "Store unix permissions in repository".

pc

Posted by Rainer Sokoll <R....@intershop.de>.
On Wed, Aug 15, 2007 at 08:52:56PM -0500, ying lcs wrote:

[ I like the subject ;-)) ]

> For example, how can I verify which files under the trunk has this
> 'executable bit'  set?

man find

> and than do a 'chmod +x' for all the files
> which has this 'executable bit' set?

That doesn't make sense at all, You cannot apply the executable bit to a
file which already has it.

Rainer

Re: how to perverse file permission in subversion

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Aug 15, 2007, at 20:52, ying lcs wrote:

> On 8/15/07, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> On Aug 15, 2007, at 18:42, ying lcs wrote:
>>
>>> When I check in files to subversion (with executable.
>>> permission), and
>>> then check them out again, they are no long executable.
>>>
>>> Can you please tell me if/how can i check the file permission when
>>> checking in/out of subversion?
>>
>> In general, Subversion does not preserve file permissions.
>>
>> There is a special case for the executable bit, however. If a file is
>> executable when checked into a Subversion repository, Subversion will
>> add the svn:executable property to the file. On checkout, if a file
>> has the svn:executable property, it will set the executable bit. You
>> can also set the svn:executable property manually for files that do
>> not already have it.
>
> But how can take advantage of this 'executable bit' feature in
> subversion?
>
> For example, how can I verify which files under the trunk has this
> 'executable bit'  set? and than do a 'chmod +x' for all the files
> which has this 'executable bit' set?

Subversion handles everything automatically. As I said, if you "svn
add" a file which has the OS executable bit set (i.e. you have
previously done "chmod +x <file>") then Subversion automatically adds
the svn:executable property to the file. And if you check out a new
working copy (or updating an existing one), Subversion will
automatically set the OS executable bit on the newly-checked-out
files because it sees the Subversion svn:executable property on the
file.

If you have existing files in a working copy which do not have
svn:executable or the OS executable bit set, and you would like them
to, then "svn propset svn:executable '*' <file>" and commit it, and
Subversion will add the OS executable bit.

If there are certain file types which you would like to always have
as executable, define your auto-props in your ~/.subversion/config file.

Re: how to perverse file permission in subversion

Posted by ying lcs <yi...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Ryan.

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Aug 15, 2007, at 22:43, ying lcs wrote:

> Actually, I have this weird problem.
>
> I am able to build a program in RedHat EL4 in a directory using
> configure and then install.
>
> Then I check in the directory to svn and checkout again.
>
> And when I try to build, it does not build, it get error like this:
>
> configure.ac:360: the top level
> configure.ac:360: warning: AC_RUN_IFELSE was called before
> AC_GNU_SOURCE
> configure.ac:5452: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_PATH_LIBGCRYPT
>       If this token and others are legitimate, please use
> m4_pattern_allow.
>       See the Autoconf documentation.
> make[3]: *** [Makefile.am] Error 1
> make[3]: Leaving directory
> `/root/video_offical_working_dir5/video/vlc/modules/access'
> make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/root/video_offical_working_dir5/video/
> vlc/modules'
> make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/video_offical_working_dir5/video/
> vlc'
> make: *** [all] Error 2

Sorry, I don't know what that means.

Try taking Subversion out of the picture. Can you build the software
properly before checking it into Subversion? If not, talk to the
developers of that software.

If checking it into Subversion really is what breaks it, then do an
"svn export" from the repository. Can you build that? If not, do a
recursive diff between the directory before it was checked into
Subversion and the export. What's different?

Re: how to perverse file permission in subversion

Posted by ying lcs <yi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Peter Connolly <ps...@gmail.com>.
Ryan,

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.