Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> on 2012/05/02 10:53:49 UTC

Shepherds for podling reports

Hi,

In order to better share the effort of reviewing podling reports and
giving constructive feedback where needed, I'd like to propose
something like the shepherd model the ASF board is using for project
reports. For each report a single "shepherd" [*] is assigned
responsibility for a deeper review of the report and any followups
that may be needed. Of course anyone within the IPMC is still welcome
to help in the review, and in any case the mentors of a podling should
review and sign off on the reports of their podlings.

Any volunteer shepherds? Please sign up by adding your name to [1].

[1] http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/IncubatorShepherds
[*] A shepherd watching over a podling... Perhaps someone has a better
agricultural term in mind? :-)

BR,

Jukka Zitting

RE: Shepherds for podling reports

Posted by "Franklin, Matthew B." <mf...@mitre.org>.

Fair enough.  I think that makes a lot of sense then.

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.
I think it was me that was unclear. I was backtracking in the idea of
linking cross-community work to shepherds. I wasn't backtracking on the
idea of shepherds. Or, what you said ;-)

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mohammad Nour El-Din <no...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 8:27 PM, Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com> wrote:

> In the Board agenda, we have a line where each Director can state they have
> reviewed the report (before the meeting). They can also append queries and
> comments. Little mini-discussions kinda happen in those comments.
>
> Point here is: provide a similar location for IPMC members (including
> shepherds) to list their review/approval. There is no strict need to divvy
> the reviews. Jukka is doing that as a transitionary measure until people
> get into it.
>
> IOW, there is no big deal if both Mohammad and Dave review Nuvem and Wink.
> The real goal is at least one or more IPMC names associated with each
> podling report. (beyond mentor signoffs?)
>
> Another way to say it: Mohammad: go ahead and review all six. No big deal
> if there is overlap.
>
> (and if you believe six is a problem, then avoid becoming a Director; we
> review something like 40 to 50... month after month... :-P)

Well, I can start rehearsing with 6 reports preparing for the 40-50 ones :P

--
Thanks
- Mohammad Nour

Re: Shepherds for podling reports

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 3:20 PM, Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com> wrote:
> I've done my shepherd reviews and made one comment (about Amber) on
> this list). I'm not sure where you want general observations recording
> but I have moved the projects to the recommended status category

That's perfect, thanks!

I'll compose the report summary based on the comments people raise
about individual reports (like the one you did about Amber).

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Sorry for the delay. Something came up that took most of my attention
away from the Incubator for the last few days.

On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 7:49 PM, Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Well, the Wiki page explicitly says that the chair will assign.

If you have time, feel free to pick any of the reports still listed
under TODOs. And as said, there's no harm (on the contrary) of
multiple reviews on top of those already done by the podling mentors.

I'll start working on completing the Incubator report later tonight.
Any extra podling reviews and especially the categorization of podling
status would be quite useful for that.

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.
On May 8, 2012 6:50 PM, "Benson Margulies" <bi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Well, the Wiki page explicitly says that the chair will assign.

To make sure they are all covered by at least one person, yes. However, I'm
pretty sure doubling would be good - more eyes etc.

(For what its worth I'd be happy for you to give any of the projects I'm a
mentor or shepherd the once over. As my experience on Amber shows this
month mentors sometimes miss important stuff , extra eyes to compliment my
own are appreciated)

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.

Posted by "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
On May 4, 2012, at 9:35 AM, Mohammad Nour El-Din wrote:

> Hi Jukka...
>
>   I also added myself, but as being a Mentor of CloudStack I would rather
> take (shepherdZ: DeltaSpike, Nuvem, Wink) while Dave Fisher takes (shepherdY:
> CloudStack, NPanday, VCL)
>
> Dave would you please ACK that ?

Sorry Mohammad, I had already reviewed Wink and Nuvem. I only have time for two.

Wink:

From activity it looks like this project should have graduated into a TLP a year ago. It looks like a mature and well developed project. I don't understand why they think that they should become a subproject of Geronimo or Tuscany. They are a mature and useful tool. It's time for this bird to fly on its own wings. They are an example of a small, viable community that contributes to more than one other community. Podling Namesearch and graduation should be next.

For my $job, I'll likely ask my developers to take a look to see if this is a useful tool for some us.

Nuvem:

It is really hard to know what this project is trying to do other than be a common API for Cloud Apps. Very low activity. Apparently no users. A little pick up in dev activity recently. More information on the podling site might attract a few more developers. No release. This thread shows that the developers are aware:

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-nuvem-dev/201201.mbox/%3CCANzUfzemiQBzxt%3DgFFM7tMBdyMv-q7H%2BvBB2xR0GxECs5y17KQ%40mail.gmail.com%3E

I suggest the Nuvem PPMC focus on explaining precisely what they are trying to build.

Regards,
Dave

Posted by Mohammad Nour El-Din <no...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jukka...

   I also added myself, but as being a Mentor of CloudStack I would rather
take (shepherdZ: DeltaSpike, Nuvem, Wink) while Dave Fisher takes (shepherdY:
CloudStack, NPanday, VCL)

Dave would you please ACK that ?

On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 2:54 PM, Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 11:14 PM, Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>
> wrote:
> > This looks like a mind expanding activity. I added my name for a maximum
> of 2 per month.
>
> Great, thanks!
>
> Would you mind taking a look at for example Nuvem and Wink this month?
> Or pick some other yet unclaimed reports.
>
> BR,
>
> Jukka Zitting

Thanks
- Mohammad Nour
----
- Albert Einstein

Re: Shepherds for podling reports

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
On May 3, 2012, at 2:06 PM, Jukka Zitting wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 8:23 PM, Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org> wrote:
>> Added my name,
>
> Great, thanks!
>
> Would you mind taking the role of "shepherdX" this month and giving a
> closer look at Clerezza, Lucene.NET and Syncope?
>
>> but, haven't mentors already kind of volunteered for this by virtue that they are mentoring?
>
> Yes, they have. Each mentor should in any case have reviewed the
> reports of their podlings and provided any required feedback.
>
> However, often mentors are "too close" to a project to tell whether
> the report gives a good enough picture of the project status without
> extra context. Also, there have been plenty of cases of absent or
> otherwise busy mentors leaving podlings with little or no effective
> review or feedback.
>
> For these reasons I think it's useful for at least one "outsider" from
> within the IPMC to do a closer review of the podling report before we
> forward it to the ASF board. If everything's fine, the mentors have
> already done their job and the task of the shepherd becomes just to OK
> the report and move on. If not, the shepherd should raise a flag for
> the podling community, its mentors, or ultimately the IPMC to resolve.

This looks like a mind expanding activity. I added my name for a maximum of 2 per month.

Thanks,
Dave

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.
Added my name, but, haven't mentors already kind of volunteered for this by virtue that they are mentoring?

Matt Hogstrom
matt@hogstrom.org

A Day Without Nuclear Fusion Is a Day Without Sunshine

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.

Posted by "Franklin, Matthew B." <mf...@mitre.org>.

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

<rg...@opendirective.com> wrote:
> This is a good idea. I have signed up.

Excellent, thanks!

> I only ask you bear one thing in mind. Some months active people here
> have lots of their own podlings reporting, which takes quite a bit of time
> if done diligently. When assigning shepherd each month please bear in
> mind how many reports they are already signing off on.

Good point.

How about we start with an approximation that being a mentor of one of
the reporting podlings is equivalent to reviewing the reports of three
other podlings? We can tweak that down the line based on experience.

It's also fine to add a qualifier like "only when one of my mentored
podlings isn't reporting" or something similar on the wiki page to
further reduce the workload.

For now I'm willing to fill in to keep the amount of required effort
for anyone else to reasonable levels, but over time I'm hoping that we
get enough volunteers (and are able to clean up the backlog of
ungraduated projects) so that any single shepherd will only be
responsible for reviewing one or at most two reports per month.

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.
Jukka,

This is a good idea. I have signed up. I only ask you bear one thing
in mind. Some months active people here have lots of their own
podlings reporting, which takes quite a bit of time if done
diligently. When assigning shepherd each month please bear in mind how
many reports they are already signing off on.

That being said, I'm happy to help you as much as you need.

Ross

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 2:49 PM, Alan D. Cabrera <li...@toolazydogs.com> wrote:

> On May 3, 2012, at 6:18 AM, Jukka Zitting wrote:
>> The resulting TODOs are (see also the May2012 wiki page):
>>
>>  - jukka:     Airavata, Droids, SIS, Wookie, Zeta Components
>>  - rgardler:  Amber, PhotArk
>>  - mfranklin: Ambari, Flex, Stanbol
>>  - shepherdX: Clerezza, Lucene.NET, Syncope
>>  - shepherdY: CloudStack, NPanday, VCL
>>  - shepherdZ: DeltaSpike, Nuvem, Wink
>
> Even though I'm the mentor for VCL I now have to sign up to be a shepherd too?

Nope. Jukka is looking for *additional* people to review the reports
at the IPMC-level. You can continue to help VCL with their community
and their podling report. Some additional people will review and look
for concerns and action items for the IPMC to work on
(feedback/actions for podlings, or meta-level IPMC issues, etc). Then
Jukka bundles all that up and pops it up to the Board.

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.
On May 3, 2012, at 6:18 AM, Jukka Zitting wrote:

> Hi,
>
> OK, so let's see how this works out in practice. We have 19 podling
> reports to review by next Wednesday (Ambari is still empty).
>
> To keep the required effort down to a reasonable level, I divided
> these to six slots of three reports each and divided them among me,
> Ross and Matt and three other potential volunteers. I'll take care of
> the outlying mini-report of the retiring Zeta Components.
>
> Since Ross is a mentor of four of the podlings that reported this
> month (nice!), I ideally would have excused him from all extra review
> duty this month. But since we're a bit low on volunteers (and Ross
> seemed eager enough :-), I decided to assign two reports to him and
> take the extra one myself. I also took Ross' stated interest into
> mobile stuff into account by assigning PhotArk (that's nowadays trying
> to become a HTML5/Cordova mobile app) to him before dividing the
> remaining reports in sequence.
>
> The resulting TODOs are (see also the May2012 wiki page):
>
>  - jukka:     Airavata, Droids, SIS, Wookie, Zeta Components
>  - rgardler:  Amber, PhotArk
>  - mfranklin: Ambari, Flex, Stanbol
>  - shepherdX: Clerezza, Lucene.NET, Syncope
>  - shepherdY: CloudStack, NPanday, VCL
>  - shepherdZ: DeltaSpike, Nuvem, Wink

Even though I'm the mentor for VCL I now have to sign up to be a shepherd too?

Regards,
Alan

Re: Shepherds for podling reports

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

[...]

Please reply if you'd like to volunteer as one of the X, Y or Z
shepherds. No longer-term involvement required, if you like you can
just volunteer for a one-off round of reviews this month.

See my earlier mails [1,2] for a quick summary of the kind of stuff I
personally do when reviewing a podling report. That level of review
should require less than an hour of effort for three reports, plus
some extra time in case extra feedback or other followup is needed.

Matt, can you take care of pursuing a report from Ambari or, if they
can't make it in reasonable time, ask them to report again next month?

[1] http://markmail.org/message/2gkehvvwvdbcm6uz
[2] http://markmail.org/message/vd2jkqn4su34mfon

Posted by "Franklin, Matthew B." <mf...@mitre.org>.

OK.   Thanks for clarifying.

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.

Posted by "Franklin, Matthew B." <mf...@mitre.org>.

+1

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.
Thanks Jukka,

Posted by "Franklin, Matthew B." <mf...@mitre.org>.

+1.  Added my name

Posted by Mohammad Nour El-Din <no...@gmail.com>.
Hi Alan...

On Sun, May 6, 2012 at 12:05 AM, Alan D. Cabrera <li...@toolazydogs.com>wrote:

> Thanks for replying with a thoughtful response.
>
> Jukka put forth the idea of shepherds as a proposal.  I was merely
> replying to that proposal with my own considered ideas.
>
> I am encouraged about the enthusiasm but I feel that it blurs the
> responsibility of the mentor.  Shepherding the shepherds of a podling, i.e.
> mentors, seems to me like the wrong way to go.  It does add process.  If
> one carefully re-reads posts to this thread there's all sorts of extra
> complexity being considered such as groupings of podlings and clearly
> defining the rules for cross-cutting projects, etc.  Not that this is
> what's going to finally be adopted.
>
> Incubation is confusing enough as it is.
>
> Sprinkling more process, roles, and bureaucracy is not the solution to, my
> mind, mentors who need to be politely pinged.  This is just my humble
> opinion.
>
> With that said, the shepherds have my sincere best wishes and I am happy
> to cooperate for those podlings where I am mentor.
>
> Thanks again for your kind reply.

You still have a point, but lets give it a try and adjust the idea along
the way :), maybe come up with another idea if this didn't work out

--
Thanks
- Mohammad Nour

Re: Shepherds for podling reports

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.

Posted by Mohammad Nour El-Din <no...@gmail.com>.
Hi Alan

  For sure your point may be valid, but the whole point, if you read the
that Jukka mentioned that this is a start and will assess the effort and
the whole plan after giving it sometime.

And actually having other people looking into reports, from one side that
will help mentors and from the other side it is as mentioned by Alex a
fresh eye, who can poke around and ask questions or even provide more help.

On Sat, May 5, 2012 at 8:50 PM, Alan D. Cabrera <li...@toolazydogs.com>wrote:

> On May 5, 2012, at 11:07 AM, Benson Margulies wrote:
>
> > If you don't want to be a Shepherd, don't sign up.
>
> Yeah, I get that part.
>
> > The board asked us
> > to do a better job of reviewing reports and detecting mentor
> > deficiencies.
>
> I get that too.
>
> > This is a plan to accomplish that.
>
> My opinion about the plan stands.
>

> Regards,
> Alan

Thanks
- Mohammad Nour
----
- Albert Einstein

Re: Shepherds for podling reports

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
If you don't want to be a Shepherd, don't sign up. The board asked us
to do a better job of reviewing reports and detecting mentor
deficiencies. This is a plan to accomplish that.

Re: Shepherds for podling reports

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.
On May 5, 2012, at 9:04 AM, Alex Karasulu wrote:

> On Sat, May 5, 2012 at 6:27 PM, Alan D. Cabrera <li...@toolazydogs.com> wrote:
>>
>> On May 2, 2012, at 1:53 AM, Jukka Zitting wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> In order to better share the effort of reviewing podling reports and
>>> giving constructive feedback where needed, I'd like to propose
>>> something like the shepherd model the ASF board is using for project
>>> reports. For each report a single "shepherd" [*] is assigned
>>> responsibility for a deeper review of the report and any followups
>>> that may be needed. Of course anyone within the IPMC is still welcome
>>> to help in the review, and in any case the mentors of a podling should
>>> review and sign off on the reports of their podlings.
>>>
>>> Any volunteer shepherds? Please sign up by adding your name to [1].
>>>
>>> [1] http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/IncubatorShepherds
>>> [*] A shepherd watching over a podling... Perhaps someone has a better
>>> agricultural term in mind? :-)
>>
>> I feel that I should state my opinion, and this is just my humble opinion, that the solution to a problem is not to add more process, bureaucracy, and roles.
>>
>> It's my opinion that this task should be done by the mentors, period.  If people have spare bandwidth they then should sign up to be a mentor.
>>
>> Just my 2 cents.
>
> Thanks Alan, I always appreciate your input.
>
> However I think Jukka is simply asking for more "fresh" eye balls to
> help in the review before submission of the composite report. The
> shear time, and volume of work required to properly review all those
> Incubator Podling reports can be overwhelming for a single person:
> delegation is very sensible.
>
> I don't think there's more process or more bureaucracy. IMHO it's a
> good, non-bureaucratic evolutionary step towards better management.
> Honestly when I try to put myself into the IPMC Chair's perspective to
> understand the amount of work and responsibility he has, I get
> overwhelmed.

I understand and sympathize that it's a lot of work for the IPMC chair but frankly, I had always thought that this bit of responsibility was delegated to the mentors which is why mentors usually needed to be IPMC members.

It is more process, reports are now to be checked by a new role in addition to being checked by the mentors, and bureaucracy, there are signup sheets, and now there are new roles, shepherds.  Now the shepherds need to be tracked to see if there is sufficient coverage for report checking.

IMNSHO, the elephant in the room is MIA mentors.

Regards,
Alan

Re: Shepherds for podling reports

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.
On Sat, May 5, 2012 at 6:27 PM, Alan D. Cabrera <li...@toolazydogs.com> wrote:

> On May 2, 2012, at 1:53 AM, Jukka Zitting wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> In order to better share the effort of reviewing podling reports and
>> giving constructive feedback where needed, I'd like to propose
>> something like the shepherd model the ASF board is using for project
>> reports. For each report a single "shepherd" [*] is assigned
>> responsibility for a deeper review of the report and any followups
>> that may be needed. Of course anyone within the IPMC is still welcome
>> to help in the review, and in any case the mentors of a podling should
>> review and sign off on the reports of their podlings.
>>
>> Any volunteer shepherds? Please sign up by adding your name to [1].
>>
>> [1] http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/IncubatorShepherds
>> [*] A shepherd watching over a podling... Perhaps someone has a better
>> agricultural term in mind? :-)
>
> I feel that I should state my opinion, and this is just my humble opinion, that the solution to a problem is not to add more process, bureaucracy, and roles.
>
> It's my opinion that this task should be done by the mentors, period.  If people have spare bandwidth they then should sign up to be a mentor.
>
> Just my 2 cents.

Thanks Alan, I always appreciate your input.

However I think Jukka is simply asking for more "fresh" eye balls to
help in the review before submission of the composite report. The
shear time, and volume of work required to properly review all those
Incubator Podling reports can be overwhelming for a single person:
delegation is very sensible.

I don't think there's more process or more bureaucracy. IMHO it's a
good, non-bureaucratic evolutionary step towards better management.
Honestly when I try to put myself into the IPMC Chair's perspective to
understand the amount of work and responsibility he has, I get
overwhelmed.

--
Best Regards,
-- Alex