Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org> on 2003/03/13 14:15:57 UTC

[strawpoll] use of excelon/progress stylus studio

Folks,

I've been contacted by Progress/Excelon to discuss some new features
they are looking into adding in some upcoming version of Stylus Studio.

Most importantly (to me), they are aiming to provide full XML Entity
Catalog support to v5 upon my request (OK, I used my Apache hat to
motivate them), so that people can edit Forrest document-v11 docs
without being peskered with unresolvable doctype declarations.

Related to my enquiry, the Excelon guy also suggested they would be
willing to implement "better Cocoon support" inside Stylus, and we can
all dream what that might be: sitemap syntax highlighting and
completion, pipeline debugging, and whatnot. Their XSLT syntax
completion is already quite nice, and they make use of Xalan/J and /C++
internally in their product.

Before starting to influence Excelon into some direction, I'd like to
know whether Stylus is in heavy use by the Cocoon community. Please get
back to me if you are using Stylus, and if you have compelling
Cocoon-related questions/suggestions for them.

I don't know whether this is a Real Thing yet, but it might as well
become one if we come up with some good stuff to add.

I have no relationship with Excelon/Progress except that Outerthought is
an educational partner, and we are allowed to provide attendees of our
XML/XSLT courses with a free copy of the tool.

Cheers, and thanks for any remarks.

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: [strawpoll] use of excelon/progress stylus studio

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@dff.st>.
<snip type="lots of cool news"/>

> Related to my enquiry, the Excelon guy also suggested they would be
> willing to implement "better Cocoon support" inside Stylus, and we can
> all dream what that might be: sitemap syntax highlighting and
> completion, pipeline debugging, and whatnot. Their XSLT syntax
> completion is already quite nice, and they make use of Xalan/J and /C++
> internally in their product.

This would be awesome! :))  Cocoon IDEs :P

> Before starting to influence Excelon into some direction, I'd like to
> know whether Stylus is in heavy use by the Cocoon community. Please get
> back to me if you are using Stylus, and if you have compelling
> Cocoon-related questions/suggestions for them.

This would be a good reason to use it :)

> I don't know whether this is a Real Thing yet, but it might as well
> become one if we come up with some good stuff to add.

Sounds very promising

> I have no relationship with Excelon/Progress except that Outerthought is
> an educational partner, and we are allowed to provide attendees of our
> XML/XSLT courses with a free copy of the tool.

Hmmmmm.... how much is a XML/XSLT course at outerthought? ;-)

cheers
--
Torsten

Re: [strawpoll] use of excelon/progress stylus studio

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@greenmail.ch>.
I know Stylus Studio from my last job. It's very nice. I heard that they
were working on a WYSIWYG XSLT for XSL-FO editor (similar to the great one
for HTML). Is there any progress/news on that? It would be a pretty hot
feature for FOP/Cocoon-world. A lot of people would jump on that as soon
as it is available. Big vacuum there.

Too bad that the software is too expensive (300$) for me to buy for
private use (me being between jobs). :-(

On 13.03.2003 14:15:57 Steven Noels wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I've been contacted by Progress/Excelon to discuss some new features
> they are looking into adding in some upcoming version of Stylus Studio.
>
> Most importantly (to me), they are aiming to provide full XML Entity
> Catalog support to v5 upon my request (OK, I used my Apache hat to
> motivate them), so that people can edit Forrest document-v11 docs
> without being peskered with unresolvable doctype declarations.
>
> Related to my enquiry, the Excelon guy also suggested they would be
> willing to implement "better Cocoon support" inside Stylus, and we can
> all dream what that might be: sitemap syntax highlighting and
> completion, pipeline debugging, and whatnot. Their XSLT syntax
> completion is already quite nice, and they make use of Xalan/J and /C++
> internally in their product.
>
> Before starting to influence Excelon into some direction, I'd like to
> know whether Stylus is in heavy use by the Cocoon community. Please get
> back to me if you are using Stylus, and if you have compelling
> Cocoon-related questions/suggestions for them.
>
> I don't know whether this is a Real Thing yet, but it might as well
> become one if we come up with some good stuff to add.
>
> I have no relationship with Excelon/Progress except that Outerthought is
> an educational partner, and we are allowed to provide attendees of our
> XML/XSLT courses with a free copy of the tool.
>
> Cheers, and thanks for any remarks.
>
> </Steven>
> Read my weblog at            http://blogs.cocoondev.org/stevenn/

Jeremias Maerki

Re: [strawpoll] use of excelon/progress stylus studio

Posted by Jeremy Quinn <je...@media.demon.co.uk>.
On Thursday, March 13, 2003, at 01:15 PM, Steven Noels wrote:

> I've been contacted by Progress/Excelon to discuss some new features
> they are looking into adding in some upcoming version of Stylus > Studio.
>
> Most importantly (to me), they are aiming to provide full XML Entity
> Catalog support to v5 upon my request (OK, I used my Apache hat to
> motivate them), so that people can edit Forrest document-v11 docs
> without being peskered with unresolvable doctype declarations.

+0

Stylus Studio being a Windows-only product, I have no opinion.

regards Jeremy

Re: [strawpoll] use of excelon/progress stylus studio

Posted by Jeremy Quinn <je...@media.demon.co.uk>.