Posted to j-users@xerces.apache.org by Michael Ryan Bannon <mr...@student.math.uwaterloo.ca> on 2001/03/08 01:45:21 UTC

unsupported characters in Xerces

Hello,

Kinda of a newbie here...
OK, here's the story.  I've got an XML document with the bullet character
"&middot;" (Microsoft?).  I try running it rhough the DOMParser and it gives
me a run-time error saying I must have a </blah> tag here...yada yada.  I know
(from testing) that this character is breaking the parser.

Is there any way to solve this?  Can Xerces be set so it ignores unknown
characters, or can the parser have different character sets loaded?

Thanks,

Ryan

Re: unsupported characters in Xerces

Posted by Johannes Koch <ko...@pixelpark.com>.
Hi Michael,

Michael Ryan Bannon schrieb:

> Hello,
>
> Kinda of a newbie here...
> OK, here's the story.  I've got an XML document with the bullet character
> "&middot;" (Microsoft?).  I try running it rhough the DOMParser and it gives
              ^^^^^^^^^
No, HTML 4 Latin 1 characters

> me a run-time error saying I must have a </blah> tag here...yada yada.  I know
> (from testing) that this character is breaking the parser.
>
> Is there any way to solve this?  Can Xerces be set so it ignores unknown
> characters, or can the parser have different character sets loaded?

If this entity is not defined in some way (<!ENTITY middot "&#183;") why
should a parser know what this entity stand for?
--
Johannes Koch  . IT Developer
Pixelpark AG   . http://www.pixelpark.com