Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Son Nguyen <sn...@trustedintegration.com> on 2009/02/12 19:52:44 UTC

commons validator tutorial

Does anyone know where I can go to get a tutorial on how to set up
commons validator for an app?

It would be much appreciated if I can get a sample app that goes along
with a step by step tutorial.

I have been to this site and look around everywhere but wasn't not
successful in learning commons validator.
http://commons.apache.org/validator/

I tried following the setup guide in the faqs section but it request me
to create a ValidatorForm or DynaActionForm but does not show me how to
create one.

It also mention to insert the following codes but does not tell me under
what xml node.

<!-- sets up Validator -->

        <plug-in
className="org.apache.struts.validator.ValidatorPlugIn">

          <set-property

            property="pathnames"

value="/WEB-INF/validator-rules.xml,/WEB-INF/validation.xml"/>

        </plug-in>

I assume it goes before the <struts-config> but am not sure.

I also tried to follow the example of bank.war.

I place it in my tomcat and am running it but can't get past the login
page as I don't know the default username/password.

This example also does not seem to be using a validation.xml to define
its validation.

Does anyone know of a book/website that can teach a step by step on
getting commons validator for an app?

Re: commons validator tutorial

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 6:52 PM, Son Nguyen
<sn...@trustedintegration.com> wrote:
> Does anyone know where I can go to get a tutorial on how to set up
> commons validator for an app?
>
> It would be much appreciated if I can get a sample app that goes along
> with a step by step tutorial.

Struts 1 distributes an "examples" webapp which includes a number of
validator examples

The Struts website also has the following:
http://struts.apache.org/1.3.10/faqs/validator.html
http://struts.apache.org/1.3.10/userGuide/building_view.html#validator

Niall