Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by Jim Marino <jm...@myromatours.com> on 2006/08/26 02:20:26 UTC

build breaks (and how to fix them)

Many of us have experienced build breaks over the past several weeks,
particularly in the Java SCA project. I believe the root of the
problem to be not having the correct level of modularity. I would
like to start with a general approach on how to fix this and once we
gain consensus, move to creating a proposal for changing the current
build structure.

1. The source tree should be independently built from individual
projects under /java, sca, sdo, and das. Currently it is not since
buildtools is required. I would like to get to the point where people
can check out individual sub projects only and build from there.

2. For SCA Java, as Ant proposed, the samples dealing with extensions
would move to their appropriate extension projects. Samples that used
multiple extensions (e.g. BigBank with Celtix and Axis) would stay
under samples/sca

3. API, SPI, core, hostutil, host-api would be built independently
under a subdirectory of /sca

4. Runtime host projects would be build independently under a
subdirectory of /sca

5. Extensions would move into into a subdirectory of /sca (they could
still be organized according to type) and be built individually
against a particular version of the core "jars". This would mean that
extensions are not built together and are not built with the core.
This would shield the entire build process from breaking when an
extension breaks (e.g. Axis and Axiom not being in sync). It would
also mean changes to the core could be vetted and not impact work
being done on extensions.

Thoughts?

Jim

Re: build breaks (and how to fix them)

Posted by Jeremy Boynes <jb...@apache.org>.
I have now moved the bindings, containers, databindings and idl
directories under sca/services
--
Jeremy

Posted by Jeremy Boynes <jb...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jeremy Boynes <jb...@apache.org>.
On Sep 16, 2006, at 9:24 AM, Raymond Feng wrote:

> Hi, Jeremy.
>
> I have some uncommitted changes (databinding and core/spi) and plan
> to check them in during the weekend.

Saw the big commit last night :) Are you current now and should I go
ahead with the moves?
--
Jeremy

Re: build breaks (and how to fix them)

Posted by Raymond Feng <en...@gmail.com>.
Hi, Jeremy.

I have some uncommitted changes (databinding and core/spi) and plan to check
them in during the weekend.

Thanks,
Raymond

Posted by Jeremy Boynes <jb...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jim Marino <jm...@myromatours.com>.
Can we also move the databinding extensions under services so we have:

service/transports
services/databinding
services/....

Jim

Posted by Jeremy Boynes <jb...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jeremy Boynes <jb...@apache.org>.
On Aug 31, 2006, at 4:48 PM, Luciano Resende wrote:

> Hi Jeremy
>
>   I'm trying to catch up on things, after couple days out... do I
> need to
> update anything on DAS or what you mentioned here is that because
> DAS has a
> SDO dependency, it will have to be built and published after that ?

When I modified the artifactId I updated DAS as well so there's
nothing to change there.

I plan to publish snapshots of SDO later tonight and when that
happens DAS should be able to pick them up (no need to build
everything together).
--
Jeremy

Re: build breaks (and how to fix them)

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jeremy

   I'm trying to catch up on things, after couple days out... do I need to
update anything on DAS or what you mentioned here is that because DAS has a
SDO dependency, it will have to be built and published after that ?

- Luciano

On 8/30/06, Jeremy Boynes <jb...@apache.org> wrote:

> I have updated the POMs for the spec projects and buildtools so that
> we are ready to publish snapshot builds for them.
>
> This will allow us to build and publish SCA and SDO as standalone
> projects. Once SDO is published, we should be able to build and
> publish DAS.
>
> To tackle 3), I will move the projects under a new subdirectory in
> sca called (for want of a better name as core is taken) "kernel".
>
> --
> Jeremy
>

> On Aug 29, 2006, at 5:24 PM, Jeremy Boynes wrote:
>
> > Sounds good to me. I will start to publish unstable builds to the
> > apache snapshot repo to help stabilize things.
> > --
> > Jeremy
> >
> > On Aug 25, 2006, at 5:20 PM, Jim Marino wrote:
> >
> >> Many of us have experienced build breaks over the past several
> >> weeks, particularly in the Java SCA project. I believe the root of
> >> the problem to be not having the correct level of modularity. I
> >> would like to start with a general approach on how to fix this and
> >> once we gain consensus, move to creating a proposal for changing
> >> the current build structure.
> >>
> >> 1. The source tree should be independently built from individual
> >> projects under /java, sca, sdo, and das. Currently it is not since
> >> buildtools is required. I would like to get to the point where
> >> people can check out individual sub projects only and build from
> >> there.
> >>
> >> 2. For SCA Java, as Ant proposed, the samples dealing with
> >> extensions would move to their appropriate extension projects.
> >> Samples that used multiple extensions (e.g. BigBank with Celtix
> >> and Axis) would stay under samples/sca
> >>
> >> 3. API, SPI, core, hostutil, host-api would be built independently
> >> under a subdirectory of /sca
> >>
> >> 4. Runtime host projects would be build independently under a
> >> subdirectory of /sca
> >>
> >> 5. Extensions would move into into a subdirectory of /sca (they
> >> could still be organized according to type) and be built
> >> individually against a particular version of the core "jars". This
> >> would mean that extensions are not built together and are not
> >> built with the core. This would shield the entire build process
> >> from breaking when an extension breaks (e.g. Axis and Axiom not
> >> being in sync). It would also mean changes to the core could be
> >> vetted and not impact work being done on extensions.
> >>
> >> Thoughts?
> >>
> >> Jim

Luciano Resende
SOA Opensource - Apache Tuscany