Posted to users@jackrabbit.apache.org by Kristian Rink <ka...@zimmer428.net> on 2007/11/07 13:15:11 UTC

[OT] webdav client libraries for Java?

Folks;

sorry for the OT: Being into building a WebDAV enabled
application based on tomcat, I am so far trying to find a way how to
programmatically interact with the WebDAV using some kind of Java
webdav library - but which one? As far as I have seen so far, there is
next to no working, up-to-date Java WebDAV client library:

- Jakarta Slide seems to have been retired a while ago. For what I see
on the site, there is a pointer to jackrabbit but so far I have failed
to find a generic webdav client in jackrabbit-jcr-webdav. Is there such
functionality in it?

- commons-vfs has webdav supported as "sandbox" component for quite
some aeons by now it seems.

- SkunkDAV just doesn't work, constantly throwing NPEs, and it's rather
old (2001) either.

So... does anyone of the kind, wise people out here know a better way
how to interact with a WebDAV server from within a Java application? Is
there any way how to programmatically access, modify, add, remove files
from/to WebDAV without manually crafting a WebDAV client on my own on
top of some HTTP client lib?

Thanks in advance and best regards,
Kristian

--
Kristian Rink * http://zimmer428.net * http://flickr.com/photos/z428/
jab: kawazu@jabber.ccc.de * icq: 48874445 * fon: ++49 176 2447 2771

Re: [OT] webdav client libraries for Java?

Posted by Torgeir Veimo <to...@pobox.com>.

There's apparently a library in use by the eclipse project, did you
have a look at that? It think it originated with the old IBM
alphaworks webdav project.

--
Torgeir Veimo
torgeir@pobox.com

Re: [OT] webdav client libraries for Java?

Posted by ossi petz <os...@hallo.ms>.
Hallo

well i think it should be possible to write / read files with webdav and
the slide webdavlib. the library may be 3-4 years old but i dont see any
  strong movement on webdav itself so it should work.

a lot of tools actually use this lib (maven wagon, commons http client
and so on)

currently i am doing some experiments with httpclient/slide and https
and reading files seems to work.

there are some articles on this too:
http://www.onjava.com/pub/a/onjava/2003/12/23/slide.html

using the latest snapshot vfs form:
http://people.apache.org/builds/commons/nightly/commons-vfs/commons-vfs-20070730.zip
http://people.apache.org/builds/commons/nightly/commons-vfs/commons-vfs-20070730-src.zip

the src file contains an ant build script that will collect the required
jars.

curious if someone has ever used vfs with slide-clientlib and https?

regards

ossi

Posted by Kristian Rink <ka...@zimmer428.net>.
Hello Sean, @list;

Posted by Sean Sullivan <se...@seansullivan.com>.
Kristian,

Eclipse has a WebDAV client library. I don't know if the code is
actively maintained:

http://dev.eclipse.org/viewcvs/index.cgi/platform-webdav-home/main.html?view=co

Can you document your findings/researching in the Javapedia wiki?

http://wiki.java.net/bin/view/Javapedia/WebDAV

Sean

Posted by ossi petz <os...@hallo.ms>.
Hallo jackrabbit :)

The slide is retired pointer has brought me here too. So the question
may not be that OT as indicated in the subject.

but back to my stupid questions. i am looking for a webdav client too.

from what i found:
  - Commons VFS, but it relies on slide too. so its not future safe
  - A commercial http client:
    http://www.oaklandsoftware.com/product_http/compare.html
    lets say quite expensive.
  - (slide webdav client)

Are there some instructions on how to use apache http client with the
jackrabbit webdav extensions? i was too stupid to find any documentation
or examples.

Does Java-RMI Webdav mean you can only connect to certain servers? Or
does that not matter? So one could connect to any other webdav server
(Apache HTTPD/DAV)?

Thanks for any input

regards

ossi

Posted by Vpupkin <ge...@maas.de>.

Jukka Zitting wrote:

> Hi,
>

> Angela Schreiber wrote:
>>
>>> ...SKIPED..
>>> dav-client. hinthint ;)
>>
>> +1
>>
>>  > ...SKIPED..
>> to nothing concrete
>>  > ...SKIPED..
>> Jukka Zitting

+1

at the moment i tried  http://soren.lund.org/cadaver.html Cadaver  for using
current JackRabbit-repo. But surely it will be nice to have some ,
"independent" from java-RMI, client to use full
http://jackrabbit.apache.org/doc/components/webdav.html spec-list, declared
by Jackrabbit.   Could somebody advise me some another client, which cover
JR-WebDav functionality?
BTW - Eclipse-plugin from day.com also utilize only pure RMI-transport.  May
be it will be nice first place to add WebDav as additional "connector"  ;-)
?

Re: [OT] webdav client libraries for Java?

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Nov 7, 2007 3:03 PM, Angela Schreiber <an...@day.com> wrote:
> not exactly what you are looking for, but at least cheaper than
> using any kind of client lib, would be to use the extensions
> to commons-httpclient that are present in the jackrabbit-webdav
> project... they cover the methods defined by rfc 2518, 3253,
> 3648, 3744, dasl but have never been put together to a complete
> dav-client. hinthint ;)

+1

There's been some interest in merging the remains of Slide and the
current Jakarta HttpComponents into a single Java HTTP project that
might perhaps be taken to the Apache Incubator for community building.
So far these efforts seem to have lead to nothing concrete, but there
certainly are a number of people who are interested in something like
this.

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: [OT] webdav client libraries for Java?

Posted by Angela Schreiber <an...@day.com>.
hi kristian

> So... does anyone of the kind, wise people out here know a better way
> how to interact with a WebDAV server from within a Java application? Is
> there any way how to programmatically access, modify, add, remove files
> from/to WebDAV without manually crafting a WebDAV client on my own on
> top of some HTTP client lib?

not exactly what you are looking for, but at least cheaper than
using any kind of client lib, would be to use the extensions
to commons-httpclient that are present in the jackrabbit-webdav
project... they cover the methods defined by rfc 2518, 3253,
3648, 3744, dasl but have never been put together to a complete
dav-client. hinthint ;)

regards
angela