Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <hp...@intermeta.de> on 2003/01/09 10:40:18 UTC

Re: [Fwd: [peter@realityforge.org: Re: Redistribution of javax

Jason van Zyl <ja...@zenplex.com> writes:

>Is there any one we can ask at Sun for an official exception? In the
>meantime I will start work to remove the JARs. It just seems ridiculous

Make it possible to have multiple remote repositories. Resurrect the
"non-distributeable.jars" file.  Put everything minus activation, mail etc.
and the non-distributeable file on the apache box.

Have a second repository, which is not officially apache sanctioned
and contains all the jars. Tell people in clear words how they can add
this second repository to their build.properties. But _ship_ without
this second repository added as default.

Make maven look at the second repository if it can't find a file on
the first.

Surprise, surprise: You've just reimplemented the debian apt-get process.

This was discussed by some people long before the whole ibiblio
shebang. But ibiblio was considered the "more successful way to go".

	Regards
		Henning

--
Dipl.-Inf. (Univ.) Henning P. Schmiedehausen       -- Geschaeftsfuehrer
INTERMETA - Gesellschaft fuer Mehrwertdienste mbH     hps@intermeta.de

Am Schwabachgrund 22  Fon.: 09131 / 50654-0   info@intermeta.de
D-91054 Buckenhof     Fax.: 09131 / 50654-20

Re: [Fwd: [peter@realityforge.org: Re: Redistribution of javax

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>.
Henning P. Schmiedehausen wrote:

 > Have a second repository, which is not officially apache sanctioned
 > and contains all the jars. Tell people in clear words how they can add
 > this second repository to their build.properties. But _ship_ without
 > this second repository added as default.

I am not thrilled with the notion of a "license laundering scheme",
whereby jars with problematic license are placed "offshore" so that we
are not held liable.  In my mind, what you are describing is *worse*
from a legal perspective, at least now we can say *OOPS* and argue that
there was no intent to circumvent.

What we should be doing is (1) switching to acceptable alternatives
(MX4J vs JMX), and (2) pushing back to Sun on the license.

- Sam Ruby