Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Giovanni Azua <br...@swissonline.ch> on 2007/10/06 15:43:02 UTC

diff behavior switch version from SNAPSHOT to RELEASE ...

Hi all,

Since I am happy with the current state of my proj I was about to release,
then renamed all version 1.0.0-SNAPSHOT ocurrences in my pom.xml files to
1.0.0

I have the parent pom and:

- module 1
- module 2 (that depends on module 1)

Now module 2 does not build anymore complaining can not find
module1-1.0.0.jar of course it hasn't build yet but how can I tell this to
maven?

is this behavior normal?

regards,
Giovanni

RE: diff behavior switch version from SNAPSHOT to RELEASE ...

Posted by Giovanni Azua <br...@swissonline.ch>.
Hi Wendy,

Many thanks for your quick reply.

Please find my comments below.

> Consider using the release plugin to handle versioning and
> tagging for you (assuming you're using a supported scm
> system.)  'mvn release:prepare' and then 'mvn
> release:perform' means you don't have to change the version
> numbers manually, among other things.

This sounds great, since I have my project in sourceforge I was trying
to use the sourceforge plugin but does not seem to work with Maven 2.x
http://maven-plugins.sourceforge.net/maven-sourceforge-plugin/index.html

I will have to upload the release files manually, it sucks.

> You didn't say, but I assume you're trying to build only module 2.
> Maven is looking in the local and remote repos for module 1, and not
> finding it.   (Yes, this is normal).

Nop I was building from the parent as I always do. This is why I was
confused, to see that without the SNAPSHOT part in my versions, the
"module 1" was not being found anymore.

Switching to having SNAPSHOT in the version works fine.

> If you build from the parent pom, Maven will "see" all the
> modules and build the project.

Again, I was building from the parent pom but had this issue.

Many thanks!

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.

--
Wendy