Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Philippe Mathieu <ph...@lifl.fr> on 2005/01/26 08:36:58 UTC

the default name of the local data source

I am using Tomcat 5.0.28 and my WAR uses a ConnectionPool defined in the
application context (localDataSource).

To access it, the doc says that we must use these 3 lines in JSP's.
      Context initCtx = new InitialContext();
      DataSource ds = (DataSource) envCtx.lookup("mypool");
      Connection con = ds.getConnection();

The disaventage is that if there are many WAR with the same
localDataSource name, i will have to edit all the JSP/Beans to change
the localDataSourceNames.

Is there any way to avoid saying the ressource name and for example
telling that i want to use the localDataSource (without its name) ?

--
Phil

Re: the default name of the local data source

Posted by Parsons Technical Services <pa...@earthlink.net>.
I know there is a way to read in the name but am unsure how to do it at this
point. But there is a logistic issue with it. What if there is more than
one?

You could do one of three things.

Either:
On startup read in the ds and store it. Then have each class simple grab the
ds each time.

Or:
Use a properties file to store the name. It is read in during startup and
stored. Each envCtx.lookup will then use the static variable in place of the
name.

Or:
On startup create a static class to hold data. Have the variable initialized
to the name. Then all classes ref this variable.

It depends on if you want to change it without editing the war.

Doug