Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by "Shrestha, Biva" <sh...@ornl.gov> on 2012/11/20 16:35:57 UTC

SOLR USING 100% percent CPU and not responding after a while

Hello all,
We have solr 3.6 in a tomcat server with 16 GB memory allocated to it in a Linux server. It is a multicore solr and one of the core has over 100 million records. We have a web application that is fed by this solr. We don't use sharding, different cores are for different purposes. There are all kind of queries involved: simple queries, queries with filters, queries with facets, queries with pagination ( deep pagination as well) and a combination of them . When there are 100 concurrent users and quite some queries thrown to the solr the CPU utilization by the solr exceeds 100% and it becomes unresponsive.
Has someone from this group have had  this problem and found a solution. We did look at the queries from the logs and there is some optimization to be done there but is there anything we can do in the configuration. I know that there is a parameter called MergeFactor which can be set low in the solrconfig.xml for enabling faster searching but I don't see anything about CPU utilization related to that settings. So my question in a jest is that is there any CPU utilization related configuration settings for SOLR.
Any help will be appreciated a lot
Thank you a bunch
Biva

Re: SOLR USING 100% percent CPU and not responding after a while

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Show us more graphs.  Is the GC working hard?  Any of the JVM mem pools at
or near 100%?  SPM for Solr is your friend for long term
monitoring/alerting/trends, jconsole and visualvm for a quick look.

Otis

Posted by nitin4php <ni...@gmail.com>.
Hi Biva,

Any luck on this?

Even we are facing same issue with exactly same configuration and setup.

Any inputs will help a lot.

Re: SOLR USING 100% percent CPU and not responding after a while

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

I looked at the spreadsheet and the graph and it looks like that's memory
for the whole OS.  What you want to look at is the JVM heap and GC counts
and timings there, esp. when you say performance sinks.  At that time also
look at your query, filter, and document caches and see if evictions go up
and cache hit rate down.  Or maybe queries are so random that there is lots
of disk IO happening?  Have a look at the URL in my signature, you may find
that helpful with this sort of troubleshooting.

Otis
--
Solr Performance Monitoring - http://sematext.com/spm/index.html

Posted by Rafał Kuć <r....@solr.pl>.
Hello!

How about some information how Garbage Collector works during the time
when you have Solr unresponsive ?

Posted by "Shrestha, Biva" <sh...@ornl.gov>.
Hello,

Posted by Rafał Kuć <r....@solr.pl>.