Posted to user@guacamole.apache.org by headcase <ad...@adiajit.me> on 2019/07/13 20:20:33 UTC

Clipboard not working

Hey folks, my clipboard on VNC connections does not seem to populate the
remote clipboard for the machine I am connecting to. I have tried it out in
a few different browsers, the sidebar seems to correctly populate with the
copied material, but the remote clipboard is not populated. I installed
Guacamole using the script here
(https://github.com/MysticRyuujin/guac-install), so perhaps some library or
component is missing but I am not sure. I am also proxying Guacamole behind
Nginx which may be an issue but I am not sure. Clipboard copy and paste
seems to work fine for SSH connections.

Re: Clipboard not working

Posted by Mike Jumper <mj...@apache.org>.
On Sat, Jul 13, 2019 at 1:20 PM headcase <ad...@adiajit.me> wrote:

> Hey folks, my clipboard on VNC connections does not seem to populate the
> remote clipboard for the machine I am connecting to. I have tried it out in
> a few different browsers, the sidebar seems to correctly populate with the
> copied material, but the remote clipboard is not populated.

Most VNC servers require a helper application running within the remote
desktop (vncconfig) to read and update the clipboard. Usually, this
application is started as part of the user's xinitrc. My guess is that this
application is not running on your VNC server(s).

I installed Guacamole using the script here (
> https://github.com/MysticRyuujin/guac-install), so perhaps some library
> or component is missing but I am not sure.

No, there is no additional library or component required for VNC clipboard
support within Guacamole. It's part of the VNC support.

I am also proxying Guacamole behind Nginx which may be an issue but I am
> not sure. Clipboard copy and paste seems to work fine for SSH connections.

No, hosting Guacamole behind Nginx has no bearing on clipboard function.
Even if it did, once you get past guacd, everything is the same regardless
of underlying protocol. If clipboard is functioning for one protocol, then
that eliminates any problem within the webapp, within a proxy, or within
the browser. The problem must be either within the VNC implementation
(unlikely) or within the configuration of the VNC server (more likely).

- Mike