Posted to users@directory.apache.org by "Heu, Tou-Soua" <to...@fico.com> on 2013/11/04 19:26:48 UTC

installation issue with presumed user naming format

I had this installation issue since I first worked with Apache DS 2.0 in M10 and it is still present in the latest M15: the installation script makes the incorrect assumption that the user used to run the server always has its group name equal to its user name.

In another word, the user name apacheds will have a presumed group name of apacheds. In our organization, this is not always true: the primary group name may be spelled differently from the user name due to various reasons, including historical as well as mergers and acquisitions. For example, wsadmin:wsadming

This causes the apacheds installation to blow up in the "sh/install.sh" script where it tries to use "$RUN_AS_USER:$RUN_AS_USER" which is invalid since the group name is not equal to $RUN_AS_USER.

So far we have resolved to edit the installation script when this situation happens, but it would be best to have the installation script enhanced to handle this condition (e.g. something like a RUN_AS_GROUP).

Thanks.

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential, proprietary and intended solely for the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please delete it immediately.

Re: installation issue with presumed user naming format

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Le 11/4/13 7:47 PM, Heu, Tou-Soua a écrit :
> Done: DIRSERVER-1911.

Thanks !

Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com

RE: installation issue with presumed user naming format

Posted by "Heu, Tou-Soua" <to...@fico.com>.
Done: DIRSERVER-1911.

Le 11/4/13 7:26 PM, Heu, Tou-Soua a écrit :
> I had this installation issue since I first worked with Apache DS 2.0 in M10 and it is still present in the latest M15: the installation script makes the incorrect assumption that the user used to run the server always has its group name equal to its user name.
>
> In another word, the user name apacheds will have a presumed group name of apacheds. In our organization, this is not always true: the primary group name may be spelled differently from the user name due to various reasons, including historical as well as mergers and acquisitions. For example, wsadmin:wsadming
>
> This causes the apacheds installation to blow up in the "sh/install.sh" script where it tries to use "$RUN_AS_USER:$RUN_AS_USER" which is invalid since the group name is not equal to $RUN_AS_USER.
>
> So far we have resolved to edit the installation script when this situation happens, but it would be best to have the installation script enhanced to handle this condition (e.g. something like a RUN_AS_GROUP).
>
> Thanks.

Can you crate a JIRA ? That would help us traking the pb and be sure not
to forget to fix this.

Thanks !

Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny