Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Josh Pieper <jj...@pobox.com> on 2005/04/01 04:19:01 UTC

Possible skelta weirdness in mod_dav_svn responses.

If you run:

svn diff -r1:2 http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn

using /trunk svn and look at the DAV response you will see that it has
both a <txdelta> tag and a <fetch-file> tag.

<S:txdelta>U1ZOAA==
</S:txdelta><S:fetch-file base-checksum="e34baf2a1f5018f69b5a3ba4de71c069"/>

This causes mod_dav_svn to call apply_textdelta twice on the same
file, a violation of our editor ordering constraints.  Talking with
sussman on IRC, he indicated that this might be latent buggy behavior,
brought to the surface by cmpilato's recent changes to fix timeouts in
merge/diff by requesting skeltas.

cmpilato, any insights into this odd behavior?

-Josh

Re: Possible skelta weirdness in mod_dav_svn responses.

Posted by "C. Michael Pilato" <cm...@collab.net>.
Josh Pieper <jj...@pobox.com> writes:

> If you run:
>
> svn diff -r1:2 http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn
>
> using /trunk svn and look at the DAV response you will see that it has
> both a <txdelta> tag and a <fetch-file> tag.

> <S:txdelta>U1ZOAA==
> </S:txdelta><S:fetch-file base-checksum="e34baf2a1f5018f69b5a3ba4de71c069"/>
>
> This causes mod_dav_svn to call apply_textdelta twice on the same
> file, a violation of our editor ordering constraints.  Talking with
> sussman on IRC, he indicated that this might be latent buggy behavior,
> brought to the surface by cmpilato's recent changes to fix timeouts in
> merge/diff by requesting skeltas.
>
> cmpilato, any insights into this odd behavior?

My thoughts are that this, and a somewhat related bug, have just been
fixed in trunk by myself.  (See issues #2258 and #2259.)

Thanks for the report.

Re: Possible skelta weirdness in mod_dav_svn responses.

Posted by "C. Michael Pilato" <cm...@collab.net>.
"C. Michael Pilato" <cm...@collab.net> writes:

> Josh Pieper <jj...@pobox.com> writes:
>
> > If you run:
> >
> > svn diff -r1:2 http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn
> >
> > using /trunk svn and look at the DAV response you will see that it has
> > both a <txdelta> tag and a <fetch-file> tag.

> > <S:txdelta>U1ZOAA==
> > </S:txdelta><S:fetch-file base-checksum="e34baf2a1f5018f69b5a3ba4de71c069"/>
> >
> > This causes mod_dav_svn to call apply_textdelta twice on the same
> > file, a violation of our editor ordering constraints.  Talking with
> > sussman on IRC, he indicated that this might be latent buggy behavior,
> > brought to the surface by cmpilato's recent changes to fix timeouts in
> > merge/diff by requesting skeltas.
> >
> > cmpilato, any insights into this odd behavior?
>
> It's extremely likely that this bug was introduced when the "send-all"
> REPORT style was created some time ago.
>
> It will need to be fixed in the server code, but we'll also need to
> detect this case in the client and deal with that appropriately.  I'll
> take care of both.

Hrm.  Oddly enough, it seems we've made a pass at this fix before...

         ### This conditional was added to counteract a little bug in
         Subversion 0.33.0's mod_dav_svn whereby both the <txdelta>
         and <fetch-file> tags were being transmitted.  Someday, we
         should remove the conditional again to give the server the
         option of sending inline text-deltas for some files while
         telling the client to fetch others. */

Re: Possible skelta weirdness in mod_dav_svn responses.

Posted by "C. Michael Pilato" <cm...@collab.net>.