Posted to commits@lucene.apache.org by Apache Wiki <wi...@apache.org> on 2015/05/01 21:07:41 UTC

[Solr Wiki] Trivial Update of "HowToContribute" by Esther Quansah

Dear Wiki user,

You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "Solr Wiki" for change notification.

The "HowToContribute" page has been changed by Esther Quansah:
https://wiki.apache.org/solr/HowToContribute?action=diff&rev1=99&rev2=100

  {{{
  $ cd <your Solr trunk checkout dir>
  $ svn up
- $ wget <URL to the patch> -O - | patch -p0 --dry-run
+ $ wget <URL to the patch> -O  | patch -p0 --dry-run
  }}}

  If you are on Solaris, you should replace 'patch' with 'gpatch' to use GNU Patch instead.

Re: [Solr Wiki] Trivial Update of "HowToContribute" by Esther Quansah

Posted by Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org>.
On 5/1/2015 1:07 PM, Apache Wiki wrote:
> Dear Wiki user,
>
> You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "Solr Wiki" for change notification.
>
> The "HowToContribute" page has been changed by Esther Quansah:
> https://wiki.apache.org/solr/HowToContribute?action=diff&rev1=99&rev2=100
>
>   {{{
>   $ cd <your Solr trunk checkout dir>
>   $ svn up
> - $ wget <URL to the patch> -O - | patch -p0 --dry-run
> + $ wget <URL to the patch> -O  | patch -p0 --dry-run
>   }}}
>
>   If you are on Solaris, you should replace 'patch' with 'gpatch' to use GNU Patch instead.

I believe this is an incorrect change.  I'm pretty sure that the "-"
tells wget to output the remote file contents to stdout, which is then
piped to patch, similar to what happens in this excerpt from the wget
man page on CentOS 7:

"Use of -O is not intended to mean simply "use the name file instead of
the one in the URL;" rather, it is analogous to shell redirection: wget
-O file http://foo is intended to work like wget -O - http://foo > file;
file will be truncated immediately, and all downloaded content will be
written there."

If I had any idea how to obtain Esther's email address from the wiki, I
would send a notification directly.

Thanks,
Shawn