Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Giacomo Pati <gi...@apache.org> on 2006/02/13 14:34:15 UTC

Logkit (I know, again) was [RT] Using Spring instead of ECM++

Re: Logkit (I know, again) was [RT] Using Spring instead of ECM++

Posted by Reinhard Poetz <re...@apache.org>.
Upayavira wrote:
> Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

>>>Yes, please :) I would suggest log4j as commons-logging has problems
>>>with classloading (afair) and noone is using jdk14 logging....
>>

>>+1 for log4j
>

> +1 too.

I agree with you. log4j is the defacto-standard (at least in all my Java
projects it is used).

                                        web(log): http://www.poetz.cc

Re: Logkit (I know, again) was [RT] Using Spring instead of ECM++

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@odoko.co.uk>.
Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
> Le 13 févr. 06, à 14:50, Carsten Ziegeler a écrit :
>
>> Giacomo Pati wrote:
>>
>>> ...What about also getting rid of logkit and use what we already have in
>>> our dependency lists (log4J, commons-logging, ...)?
>>>
>> Yes, please :) I would suggest log4j as commons-logging has problems
>> with classloading (afair) and noone is using jdk14 logging....
>

> +1 for log4j

+1 too.

Upayavira

Re: Logkit (I know, again) was [RT] Using Spring instead of ECM++

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Le 13 févr. 06, à 14:50, Carsten Ziegeler a écrit :

> Giacomo Pati wrote:
>> ...What about also getting rid of logkit and use what we already have
>> in
>> our dependency lists (log4J, commons-logging, ...)?
>>
> Yes, please :) I would suggest log4j as commons-logging has problems
> with classloading (afair) and noone is using jdk14 logging....

+1 for log4j

-Bertrand

Re: Logkit (I know, again) was [RT] Using Spring instead of ECM++

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@apache.org>.
On 14.02.2006, at 00:50, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

> Giacomo Pati wrote:

>> While we are at discussing cleanups.
>>
>> What about also getting rid of logkit and use what we already have in
>> our dependency lists (log4J, commons-logging, ...)?
>>
> Yes, please :) I would suggest log4j as commons-logging has problems
> with classloading (afair) and noone is using jdk14 logging.

As a side note:

There is a new release of commons-logging coming out (rc is already
available) Simon and Robert claim that most of the classloading
problems have been solved. JCL has now extensive tests for classloading.

But as long as all libraries log into the same log file I don't care
anymore ...sorry, the logging discussion finally make me go "whatever!"

cheers
--
Torsten

Re: Logkit (I know, again) was [RT] Using Spring instead of ECM++

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@odoko.co.uk>.
Niklas Therning wrote:
> Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

>> Yes, please :) I would suggest log4j as commons-logging has problems
>> with classloading (afair) and noone is using jdk14 logging.
>

> Nowadays there's also slf4j (www.slf4j.org). Like commons-logging it's a
> facade for other logging frameworks but it doesn't suffer from the
> classloading problems of commons-logging. It's used by the Apache
> directory project. I think it's being developed by the guy behind log4j.

We have discussed that before. Personally, just using the de-facto
standard of Log4J, if it is capable of meeting our requirements, keeps
things simple. And simple is something that Cocoon seriously needs to be
moving towards. We've been there and done that in relation to lots of
dependencies.

Regards, Upayavira

Re: Logkit (I know, again) was [RT] Using Spring instead of ECM++

Posted by Niklas Therning <ni...@trillian.se>.
Berin Loritsch wrote:
> Niklas Therning wrote:
>
>> Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
>>

>>> Yes, please :) I would suggest log4j as commons-logging has problems
>>> with classloading (afair) and noone is using jdk14 logging.
>>

>> Nowadays there's also slf4j (www.slf4j.org). Like commons-logging it's
>> a facade for other logging frameworks but it doesn't suffer from the
>> classloading problems of commons-logging. It's used by the Apache
>> directory project. I think it's being developed by the guy behind log4j.
>

> Given the Avalon framework interfaces, we already have a log abstraction
> using the LogEnabled and Logger interfaces.  Proper wrappers are also
> provided for Log4J and have been for years.  There's no value add in
> introducing YALF (Yet Another Logging Facade).
>

> In the future when your components have no ties to Avalon, just use
> Log4J directly.

Yes, I wouldn't have a problem with that. Just wanted to mention slf4j
for those who hadn't heard of it before. But it seem like you guys
already been discussing these thing in the past (I wouldn't know since
I'm quite new to the list).

/Niklas

Re: Logkit (I know, again) was [RT] Using Spring instead of ECM++

Posted by Giacomo Pati <gi...@apache.org>.

Re: Logkit (I know, again) was [RT] Using Spring instead of ECM++

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@d-haven.org>.

Posted by Niklas Therning <ni...@trillian.se>.
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

> Yes, please :) I would suggest log4j as commons-logging has problems
> with classloading (afair) and noone is using jdk14 logging.

Nowadays there's also slf4j (www.slf4j.org). Like commons-logging it's a
facade for other logging frameworks but it doesn't suffer from the
classloading problems of commons-logging. It's used by the Apache
directory project. I think it's being developed by the guy behind log4j.

Regards,
Niklas Therning

Re: Logkit (I know, again) was [RT] Using Spring instead of ECM++

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
Giacomo Pati wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Feb 2006, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
>
>>> Once we use the Spring based container we can simplify the whole setup
>>> process and clean up things like the CoreUtil and the Cocoon class.
>
> While we are at discussing cleanups.
>
> What about also getting rid of logkit and use what we already have in
> our dependency lists (log4J, commons-logging, ...)?

Yes, please :) I would suggest log4j as commons-logging has problems
with classloading (afair) and noone is using jdk14 logging.

> I think we definitively need to get a smaller footprint and also get
> committed to fewer alternatives (of which we do have too many now IMHO,

Exactly :)

> not mentioning other stuff we carry with us just because we do have them
> since years).
So true!

Carsten
http://www.s-und-n.de
http://www.osoco.org/weblogs/rael/

Re: Logkit (I know, again) was [RT] Using Spring instead of ECM++

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
Giacomo Pati schrieb:

>>> Now, with Spring I would suggest the following approach:
>>> Cocoon uses an own application context which can be compared (by
>>> simplifying) with a service manager. So we have an application context
>>> for the core of Cocoon (again simplified). Now you can define a root
>>> Spring application context using the usual Spring context listener and
>>> this one (if present) will be the parent context of our Cocoon core context.
>>> If you define your own logger bean in this spring application context,
>>> Cocoon will use that logger instead. If the spring app context is
>>> missing or does not define a logger bean we will define a log4j logger
>>> in the core application context. So it would be possible to use your own
>>> logging abstraction while Cocoon does nearly nothing to support it.
>
> This is meant for traditional Avalon Components implementing LogEnabled,
> right?

Yes.

Posted by Giacomo Pati <gi...@apache.org>.

Re: Logkit (I know, again) was [RT] Using Spring instead of ECM++

Posted by Ralph Goers <Ra...@dslextreme.com>.
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> I knew this would happen :) Ok, anyway, I would like to get rid off
> excalibur
> logging and logkit. Which means, we only use the o.a.a.logging.Logger
> abstraction which is passed to a component through LogEnabled. And we
> configure a Log4J logger by default for this abstraction.
>
> Now, with Spring I would suggest the following approach:
> Cocoon uses an own application context which can be compared (by
> simplifying) with a service manager. So we have an application context
> for the core of Cocoon (again simplified). Now you can define a root
> Spring application context using the usual Spring context listener and
> this one (if present) will be the parent context of our Cocoon core context.
> If you define your own logger bean in this spring application context,
> Cocoon will use that logger instead. If the spring app context is
> missing or does not define a logger bean we will define a log4j logger
> in the core application context. So it would be possible to use your own
> logging abstraction while Cocoon does nearly nothing to support it.
>
> WDYT?
This works great for me!  If the LogManager implementation can be
configured in Spring that would be awesome.

Re: Logkit (I know, again) was [RT] Using Spring instead of ECM++

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ralph Goers <Ra...@dslextreme.com>.

Giacomo Pati wrote:
> -
> Can you explain how you use your own under Cocoon? Separate LogEnabled
> impls? CommonsLogging?
I implement org.apache.avalon.excalibur.logging.LoggerManager and
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.logging.Logger.  These then interface with
my logging framework.

Ralph

Re: Logkit (I know, again) was [RT] Using Spring instead of ECM++

Posted by Giacomo Pati <gi...@apache.org>.

Re: Logkit (I know, again) was [RT] Using Spring instead of ECM++

Posted by Ralph Goers <Ra...@dslextreme.com>.

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ralph Goers <Ra...@dslextreme.com>.

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.

Posted by Giacomo Pati <gi...@apache.org>.

Re: Logkit (I know, again) was [RT] Using Spring instead of ECM++

Posted by Ralph Goers <Ra...@dslextreme.com>.
Giacomo Pati wrote:

> While we are at discussing cleanups.
>
> What about also getting rid of logkit and use what we already have in
> our dependency lists (log4J, commons-logging, ...)?
>
> I think we definitively need to get a smaller footprint and also get
> committed to fewer alternatives (of which we do have too many now
> IMHO, not mentioning other stuff we carry with us just because we do
> have them since years).
I thought we already discussed this and made log4j the default?  If that
is the proposal, I'm fine with it.  If the proposal means getting rid of
our Logger abstraction layer I'm -1 on that.

Ralph

Re: Logkit (I know, again) was [RT] Using Spring instead of ECM++

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@apache.org>.
Giacomo Pati wrote:

> On Mon, 13 Feb 2006, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
>
>> Once we use the Spring based container we can simplify the whole setup
>> process and clean up things like the CoreUtil and the Cocoon class.
>
> While we are at discussing cleanups.
>
> What about also getting rid of logkit and use what we already have in
> our dependency lists (log4J, commons-logging, ...)?
>
> I think we definitively need to get a smaller footprint and also get
> committed to fewer alternatives (of which we do have too many now
> IMHO, not mentioning other stuff we carry with us just because we do
> have them since years).

+0.

Sylvain