Posted to dev@spamassassin.apache.org by Justin Mason <jm...@jmason.org> on 2008/03/12 21:26:21 UTC

a SpamAssassin summit?

hmm...

I notice that Yahoo! are running a Hadoop Summit --
http://developer.yahoo.com/hadoop/summit/ . It's notable that this is
being held outside the (rather expensive) Apachecon framework.

Would there be enough interest to sustain a SpamAssassin summit?
do we *need* physical meetups anyway? ;)
just wondering aloud...

--j.

Re: a SpamAssassin summit?

Posted by Sidney Markowitz <si...@sidney.com>.
Theo Van Dinter wrote, On 15/3/08 10:46 AM:
> I can't match the hotel rate, but I may be able to wrangle up meeting
> space and such as well in a few locations (CA Bay Area (also), NYC,
> Dublin, etc).

You're all welcome to camp out in our paddock if you make it to New Zealand. Can't offer
much else until we finish building the house, but the surroundings are real pretty.

> I think our issue is all about time and travel expense.

Oh. Never mind :-)

  -- sidney

Re: a SpamAssassin summit?

Posted by Theo Van Dinter <fe...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 01:22:02PM +0000, Justin Mason wrote:
> +1, agreed on all points there.  That really is the problem with
> Apachecon for us.

I'm +1 at this point too.  At least before I could goto httpd talks
and have it be work related, but (relative) $newjob isn't dealing with
websites or anything else ASF related... :(

> Agreed.  I think it'd have to have travel expenses funded somehow
> to be viable.

This is at least one plus for ApacheCon -- if you do a presentation
you get airfare and some hotel coverage.  I don't know how many SA
presentations they'd accept though for us to get together since SA
doesn't get a huge draw by itself.

--
Randomly Selected Tagline:
NO ONE WANTS TO HEAR ABOUT MY SCIATICA
 NO ONE WANTS TO HEAR ABOUT MY SCIATICA
 NO ONE WANTS TO HEAR ABOUT MY SCIATICA
 NO ONE WANTS TO HEAR ABOUT MY SCIATICA

 	Bart Simpson on chalkboard in episode AABF09

Re: a SpamAssassin summit?

Posted by Michael Parker <pa...@pobox.com>.
On Mar 12, 2008, at 3:47 PM, Daryl C. W. O'Shea wrote:

> On 12/03/2008 4:26 PM, Justin Mason wrote:
>> hmm...
>>
>> I notice that Yahoo! are running a Hadoop Summit --
>> http://developer.yahoo.com/hadoop/summit/ . It's notable that this is
>> being held outside the (rather expensive) Apachecon framework.
>
> They're also in the position where a large number of their
> PMC/committers are already in the same building.  Having to send
> people
> down the hall, now down the street, further reduces the cost involved.
> We're in quite a different position.

Believe it or not, depending on the week, SpamAssassin is in a
position to do that as well :)  Perhaps not all of the most active
committers, but 5-6 committers/PMC members if we tried hard enough.

IMO we used to get a lot of things accomplished with face-to-face
meetings.  Setting direction, coming to agreements on bugs, etc have
all happened the few times we've had a meetup of sorts.

I agree that a venue like Apachecon, which is tailor maid for this
sort of thing, is not something that can be done on the cheap for most
folks.  For me at least there are very few other topics discussed at
Apachecon that would draw me to the conference anyway.  That also
assumes that I can ward off the time pressures I already have in order
to be able to go in the first place.

I'm in the same boat Daryl is, it would have to be incredibly
convenient and pretty cheap for me to be able to do it.

That said, if someone was interested, with a little bit of work I
could probably get us a meeting room (whiteboard, projector etc), some
food stuffs and maybe even a discounted hotel rate in the Bay Area,
very near the San Francisco airport actually, for a meetup.

Michael

Re: a SpamAssassin summit?

Posted by "Daryl C. W. O'Shea" <sp...@dostech.ca>.
On 12/03/2008 4:26 PM, Justin Mason wrote:
> hmm...
>
> I notice that Yahoo! are running a Hadoop Summit --
> http://developer.yahoo.com/hadoop/summit/ . It's notable that this is
> being held outside the (rather expensive) Apachecon framework.

They're also in the position where a large number of their
PMC/committers are already in the same building.  Having to send people
down the hall, now down the street, further reduces the cost involved.
We're in quite a different position.

> Would there be enough interest to sustain a SpamAssassin summit?

I'm not sure there would be.  Spam filtering is a rather mature concept.
 Not that distributed computing is anywhere near new either, but there's
far less understanding about it with the general public.  In our case
the confusion mainly comes from people who don't understand email, and
we really can't help them.

Also, I can't speak for anyone else, but unless it was held in, say
Toronto, doing it for free wouldn't be an option for me to attend.

> do we *need* physical meetups anyway? ;)
> just wondering aloud...

I dunno.  Hadoop's in the position where it can just do "here's some
theory, here's how to do some stuff"... probably a lot of map/reduce
theory.  I'm not sure what we could cover to be both useful and broad
enough to be of interest to the majority of attendees.

Daryl