Posted to general@logging.apache.org by Ron Grabowski <ro...@yahoo.com> on 2007/08/30 23:37:55 UTC

new log4net webiste missing some left sidebar links

The old log4net website:

 http://web.archive.org/web/20070426033158rn_1/logging.apache.org/log4net/

had quick links on the left side to things like the SDK Reference and Contexts. The new site doesn't have those anymore. How can we bring those back?

Thanks,
Ron

Re: new log4net webiste missing some left sidebar links

Posted by Curt Arnold <ca...@apache.org>.
I've added the previous log4net SDK docs to the SVN master for the
site and updated the site.  While we do have to eventually address
automatically deploying the docs, it doesn't need to be done at the
moment.

Re: new log4net webiste missing some left sidebar links

Posted by Curt Arnold <ca...@apache.org>.
On Aug 30, 2007, at 4:37 PM, Ron Grabowski wrote:

> The old log4net website:
>
>  http://web.archive.org/web/20070426033158rn_1/logging.apache.org/
> log4net/
>
> had quick links on the left side to things like the SDK Reference
> and Contexts. The new site doesn't have those anymore. How can we
> bring those back?
>
> Thanks,
> Ron

Hopefully, I got the links back.

I attempted to run "nant generate-sdkdoc", but it looks like it
doesn't build on mono (comes up with a readregistry, unknown task or
datatype).  I don't have a Windows .NET build environment set up at
the moment.  If you could experiment with uncommenting out the lines
near line 125 on pom.xml, maybe you can get the SDK docs on the
site.  The first element should run nant to generate the SDK doc in
target/site/release/sdk/ and the second should remove any timestamp
comments in the generated files so regenerating the site doesn't
cause a flurry of unnecessary commit messages.

If things are working right:

$ mvn site

should cause the site to be generated in target/site (and the sdk
docs in target/site/release/sdk).

I've tweaked the pom so that "mvn site-deploy" no longer used scp to
copy the generated site to the site checkout directory before the
modified site is committed.  I don't remember if I tried using the
file wagon earlier, or if I had trouble and then switched to the scp
wagon.  "mvn site-deploy" requires you to set SVN_EDITOR so you are
prompted to enter a commit password (I saw a site that just used the
full path for wordpad.exe).

So to commit the changes to SVN:

$ set SVN_EDITOR="c:\windows\...\wordpad.exe"
$ mvn site-deploy

if that doesn't work, let me know what you ran into and then try this
manually:

$ svn co https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/logging/site/trunk/docs/
log4net log4net-site

copy contents of target/site to log4net-site

$ cd log4net-site

review changes

$ svn stat
$ svn diff

$ svn commit -m "Restoring SDK doc to log4net website"

After updating the SVN either with "mvn site-deploy" or the manual
method, pull the modifications to the logging services site:

$ ssh -l rgrabowski people.apache.org
$ cd /www/logging.apache.org
$ svn update

content should show up on the live site in a few minutes.