Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by Stefan Simik <st...@gmail.com> on 2007/11/16 16:51:18 UTC

Border component - naming

Hello all,

I have one question about the right naming of the Border component.

I think, that "Border" is a little confusing name, in context of swing-like
border.
In my opinion, border should be used as a decorator, that is transparent for
component,
which has it added  --->>>  it's like the new IComponentBorder interface
(and MarkupComponentBorder) works.

But the old component - "Border" behaves quite different. It's not border in
swing-context,
but it's like Panel. It has childs, it has own hierarchy ..The only
difference I see, is that Border works with markup inheritance
(with wicket:body) and Panel cannot use it.

So it seems to me, that Border name is a little confusing. It's not "Border"
- it behaves quite
like normal CONTAINER, which has own childs, own hierarchy - quite like
Panel. The only
difference I see, is that Border uses markup inheritance through
<wicket:body>, but panel does not.

I don't know, if I understand this concept correctly...  thanks in advance.

Re: Border component - naming

Posted by Johan Compagner <jc...@gmail.com>.
Thats why we also have IcomponentBorder, because thats like a swing
border, you add that border to a component instead the other way
around

Re: Border component - naming

Re: Border component - naming

Posted by Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com>.
we are not working within the context of swing here are we? so to say
something doesnt make sense within the context doesnt make any sense.

anyways, the border is called border because it wraps other components.

eg:

class myborder extends border { myborder() { add(new label("a","a"));
add(new label("b","b")); }}
<wicket:border><div wicket:id="a"/><wicket:body/><div
wicket:id="b"/></wicket:border>

now somewhere else

myborder b=new myborder("mb");
b.add(new label("c","c"));

the output from this is:

notice that border is AROUND the component that is inside it, thats
why its called border

-igor