Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Donal Lafferty <do...@citrix.com> on 2013/10/18 14:18:00 UTC

RE: [Proposal] Userdata Support for Hyper-V with KVP Data Exchange

The FS was corrected to read "BootArgs Support for Hyper-V with KVP Data Exchange"

See https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/BootArgs+Support+for+Hyper-V+with+KVP+Data+Exchange.

Background:

BootArgs, aka bootArgs, aka bootargs,  are an optional property of a virtual machine. If there are boot args in a VirtualMachineProfile, a hypervisor plugin will do it's best to pass these arguments to the VM being created at boot time.

Whether BootArgs are present in a VirtualMachineProfile depends on the VirtualMachineGuru handling the virtual machine type. E.g. VMs of type VirtualMachine.Type.SecondaryStorageVm have bootArgs. These are defined by the SecondaryStorageManagerImpl class, which provides VirtualMachineGuru methods for this VM type. On the other hand, no bootArgs are added VMs of type VirtualMachine.Type.User by their VirtualMachineGuru (see UserVmManager.finalizeVirtualMachineProfile).

The mechanism used to pass bootArgs is hypervisor-specific.

Final remarks:

This is more of a design proposal than a feature.  The proposal explains how to implement bootArgs support, which is functionality that is already expected.

Sorry for the confusion.