Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by sebb <se...@gmail.com> on 2015/11/27 11:26:42 UTC

[ALL] Move DOAP files to unchanging URL?

Compress recently moved to Git, so the URL for its DOAP changed.

I originally suggested that all the Commons DOAPs could be stored in a
common SVN location, but that idea met with resistance as several
people felt it was better kept with the source code.

Since then, the release summary file [1] has been introduced.

It might be sensible to move the DOAPs there too?
That would allow the script to automatically extract the latest releases.
At present it assumes all the DOAPs are in SVN, which is no longer the case.

==

The disadvantage of storing DOAPs in the source tree is that the DOAP
is not intended for release, and so is not included in the archives.
However it is included in tags and branches by default. This causes a
discrepancy when comparing the tag with the source archive. Also if
there are branches, care must be taken to ensure that the correct DOAP
is maintained (it's not unknown for a branch to take over from trunk -
or indeed for both to be used for releases).

[1] http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/cms-site/trunk/conf/component_releases.properties

Re: [ALL] Move DOAP files to unchanging URL?

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
Sounds reasonable to me.

Gary

Posted by Emmanuel Bourg <eb...@apache.org>.
Le 11/12/2015 09:05, Gary Gregory a écrit :

> Thanks Sebb!

+1

Now if the DOAP files could be updated automatically based on the
release tags or the Maven Central artifacts that would be one less thing
to do when publishing a release.

Emmanuel

Re: [ALL] Move DOAP files to unchanging URL?

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Sebb!

Gary

<http://www.manning.com/bauer3/>
Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com
Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: [ALL] Move DOAP files to unchanging URL?

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
I have now moved the files to

[2] http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/cms-site/trunk/conf/component_releases.properties

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org>.
Hello Sebb,

> Compress recently moved to Git, so the URL for its DOAP changed.
>
> I originally suggested that all the Commons DOAPs could be stored in a
> common SVN location, but that idea met with resistance as several
> people felt it was better kept with the source code.
>
> Since then, the release summary file [1] has been introduced.
>
> It might be sensible to move the DOAPs there too?
> That would allow the script to automatically extract the latest releases.
> At present it assumes all the DOAPs are in SVN, which is no longer the
> case.
>
> ==
>
> The disadvantage of storing DOAPs in the source tree is that the DOAP
> is not intended for release, and so is not included in the archives.
> However it is included in tags and branches by default. This causes a
> discrepancy when comparing the tag with the source archive. Also if
> there are branches, care must be taken to ensure that the correct DOAP
> is maintained (it's not unknown for a branch to take over from trunk -
> or indeed for both to be used for releases).

I'm okay with either way. But it should be the same for all components. I
don't expect the URL to the DOAP to chance frequently so I don't see that
much of a problem when keeping it together with the code.

http://people.apache.org/~britter/
http://www.systemoutprintln.de/
http://twitter.com/BenediktRitter
http://github.com/britter