Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by John Moore <jb...@microps.com> on 2008/11/27 00:43:13 UTC

Configuration Quandary - Servicing static page from app root

OS - CentOS 4.7
Tomcat - apache-tomcat-5.5.23.tar.gz
Apache - httpd-2.0.59.tar.gz (compiled on that machine)
Connector - tomcat-connectors-1.2.21-src.tar.gz (compiled on that machine)

I'm trying to serve a static page (which will redirect elsewhere but
that is not the issue) that will be found when the user uses the raw
domain name URL.  i.e.

http://www.somedomain.com

Currently this particular webapp requires the fairly usual:

http://www.somedomain.com/appname/servlet_controller

with the directory structure:

/webapps/somedomain/appname

and works just fine.. (Note: I have a LOT of web apps on this machine
with various domains, hence the directory structure)

In the base configuration file that is "include"d in httpd.conf  that is
working for the URL

http://www.somedomain.com/appname/servlet_controller

I have..

==========
<VirtualHost www.somedomain.com>
    ServerName www.somedomain.com

     Alias /appname "/usr/local/tomcat/webapps/somedomain/appname"

    <Directory "/usr/local/tomcat/webapps/somedomain/appname">
        Options Indexes FollowSymLinks
        DirectoryIndex index.html index.htm index.jsp
    </Directory>

    DocumentRoot "/usr/local/tomcat/webapps/somedomain/"

     JkMount /appname/servlet_controller  ajp13
    JkMount /appname/*.jsp  ajp13
</VirtualHost>
=============

What I would like to do is place an index.html in, for example, the
directory

/webapps/somedomain/index.html

..and have the URL

http://www.somedomain.com

...load that index.html  (the above path location can be different I'm
just assuming that would be a good place)

So far I have had no luck.. (I seem to remember doing this back in
Tomcat3 but either my brain has deteriorated severely or something has
changed and I don't "get it" yet..)

I have tried ADDING variations on the following several settings with no
luck...:

============
Alias / "usr/local/tomcat/webapps/somedomain"

<Directory "/usr/local/tomcat/webapps/somedomain">
        Options Indexes FollowSymLinks
        DirectoryIndex index.html index.htm index.jsp
 </Directory>

JkMount  / ajp13
===============

...and reread all of the docs....

Except for when I added the "JkMount / ajp13" I got a 404 returned..
When I added the JkMount then I got a blank page (no error), but the
index.html page did not load...

I would appreciate a kick up the side of the head to get me going here..
I'm feeling rather clueless at the moment...

Thank you..

John....

Re: Configuration Quandary - Servicing static page from app root

Posted by John Moore <jb...@microps.com>.
Kees Jan Koster wrote:

> Have you looked at Apache's mod_rewrite at all? I sounds like that
> module might help.
Yes, I was going there next, but I was hoping there was a Jk/virtual
host configuration I was missing.. I don't like configurations scattered
all over the place.. makes management harder..

Hence this message...

Thanks though for replying...appreciated...

John..

Posted by Kees Jan Koster <kj...@gmail.com>.
Dear John,

Posted by John Moore <jb...@microps.com>.
Sure would appreciate some feedback or ideas on this...

Please..!!

John..