Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Ryan <gr...@gmail.com> on 2012/03/05 21:57:06 UTC

Website Login Issue

It's been a while since I've used JMeter and recently started using it
again to test one of our webapps here. It is a pretty standard ASP.Net 4
app, nothing crazy. I implemented a simple test script just to make sure
login works as expected, but I cannot get this thing to work.

The steps are pretty simple:
/login.aspx
/default.aspx
/logout.aspx
/login.aspx

For the first login.aspx call, I'm including two parameters in the POST to
pass the login name and password values that are expected. In my View
Results Tree, this step does include the correct POST data and login
parameters.

However, once it moves to the /default.aspx step, the only response I get
is:

<h2>Object moved to <a href="/timeout.aspx">here</a>.</h2>

It then adds a step calling the /timeout.aspx page, which outputs the
following response:

<h2>Object moved to <a href="/login.aspx">here</a>.</h2>

It then calls the /login.aspx page. This is the correct behavior if the
user is not logged in any longer (meaning a specific session value is no
longer valid or has been removed)...it redirects to /timeout.aspx which
then forwards to /login.aspx. The question is why this is happening, as
this is not what happens in the browser.

I have an HTTP Cookie Manager to store the session values, and the session
cookie is showing up in the step request.

I figured I screwed something up so I recorded a test script with the HTTP
Proxy Server and it gave me the exact same steps and results as when I
manually created it, so I'm stuck at this point. I've double-checked the
web site script tutorials on the JMeter site as well as around the web and
it should be working.

Any ideas? Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Website Login Issue

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 14 March 2012 19:17, Ryan <gr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Well, the session id should be different since it is a different client
> sending the request. The same thing would happen if you loaded a
> session-aware page in two different browsers, they would each have their
> own http session.

Yes, of course the value of the id will be different for the different sessions.

However, sessionIds are generally just a key which is used to look up
the state of the session in the server.
The server will maintain settings such as when the session started,
what privileges it has, what state it is in - e.g has it logged in
yet?

> The initial loading of the login page is also the same between JMeter and
> the browser. This page does load correctly, the response data contains all
> of the generated content from the login.aspx page.

As I already wrote, the server must be seeing something different
between the two clients, otherwise why is it behaving differently?

I suggest you compare Wireshark sessions for browser and JMeter.

Re: Website Login Issue

Posted by Ryan <gr...@gmail.com>.

Re: Website Login Issue

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.