Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by James Strachan <ja...@yahoo.co.uk> on 2002/02/19 16:45:48 UTC

[daemon] JSR 96 support?

I just spotted the daemon project in CVS and wondered if there was any
intention of implementing JSR 96

http://jcp.org/jsr/detail/96.jsp

Also I wonder if JSR 96 will release an open source reference
implementation?

BTW have you seen the Java Service Wrapper?

http://wrapper.sourceforge.net/doc/english/index.html

I've not looked too deep yet at all 3 of these but its on my radar - I'd be
interested in any comments folk have on the pros & cons of the above.

James

Re: [daemon] JSR 96 support?

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
> > > BTW have you seen the Java Service Wrapper?
> > >
> > > http://wrapper.sourceforge.net/doc/english/index.html
> > >
> > > I've not looked too deep yet at all 3 of these but its on my radar -
I'd
> > be
> > > interested in any comments folk have on the pros & cons of the above.
> >
> > The Java API does the same, and the native components look more or less
> > equivalent. The code for the component had been in the Tomcat CVS for a
> > while.
> > Tomcat is currently using a third project as its NT service wrapper.
It'll
> > be easier to depend on the commons rather than an external project.
>
> Cool - was just a heads up more than anything else.

I didn't know about it, BTW.
Tomcat is using that one:
http://www.alexandriasc.com/software/JavaService/index.html

So there are plenty of these out there (and that's rather a good thing).

As for JSR 96, I'll reserve my judgement on it until they release a public
draft. Pier has been saying that it's bad, that's all I know.

Remy

Re: [daemon] JSR 96 support?

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@yahoo.co.uk>.
From: "Remy Maucherat" <re...@apache.org>
> > I just spotted the daemon project in CVS and wondered if there was any
> > intention of implementing JSR 96
> >
> > http://jcp.org/jsr/detail/96.jsp
> >
> > Also I wonder if JSR 96 will release an open source reference
> > implementation?
>
> I was, but now it's not.
> But of course, we could still decide later to implement the spec even if
> it's not that good. We could also propose a 2.0 version of the API in a
> subsequent JSR.

Cool.

Re: [daemon] JSR 96 support?

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.

Re: [daemon] JSR 96 support?

Posted by jean-frederic clere <jf...@fujitsu-siemens.com>.
James Strachan wrote:

> I just spotted the daemon project in CVS and wondered if there was any
> intention of implementing JSR 96

yep but it changes. No because:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=tomcat-dev&m=101406076431158&w=2

> http://jcp.org/jsr/detail/96.jsp
>
> Also I wonder if JSR 96 will release an open source reference
> implementation?
>
> BTW have you seen the Java Service Wrapper?
>
> http://wrapper.sourceforge.net/doc/english/index.html

Sounds nice.