Posted to dev@tika.apache.org by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> on 2009/07/30 13:09:05 UTC

Re: metadata and package files

Hi,

On Fri, Jun 19, 2009 at 1:46 AM, Jonathan Koren<jo...@soe.ucsc.edu> wrote:
> Is there a way to get the metadata for each entry within a package file,
> and I'm just missing it?

No, it's currently not possible. The rationale for that is the same
why we don't include the top-level metadata in the XHTML output, i.e.
metadata is not really a part of the normal text content of the
document (it's not rendered by default, etc.).

> If not, it seems like PackageParser could be modified
> to spit out a bunch of DIVs of the form: <div class="metadata"
> name="METADATA-KEY">METADATA-VALUE</div>

That would confuse the distinction between metadata and normal
document text, especially when just the character stream is extracted.
If you need access to the entry metadata, it would probably be better
to expose it as attributes of the package-entry div.

BR,

Jukka Zitting