Posted to c-users@xalan.apache.org by da...@us.ibm.com on 2003/04/24 18:17:02 UTC

Re: where's the beef?

Hi Suzanne,

Once a function is declared as virtual, it is virtual in all derived
classes -- that's the way the language works.  Perhaps you are confusing
"virtual" with "pure virtual?"

>From the file xml-xalan/c/src/XalanSourceTree/XalanSourceTreeText.cpp:

   const XalanDOMString&
   XalanSourceTreeText::getNodeValue() const
   {
      return m_data;
   }

This implementation class has a reference to a XalanDOMString instance that
contains the value for that node.

Looking in the XalanElement hierarchy for an implementation of
XalanNode::getNodeValue() const, gets you to the file
xml-xalan/c/src/XalanSourceTree/XalanSourceTreeText.cpp:

   const XalanDOMString&
   XalanSourceTreeElement::getNodeValue() const
   {
      return s_emptyString;
   }

Since Element nodes have no "node value" in the DOM, the return result is
an empty string.

Dave

                      Suzanne Dirkers
                      <dirkers@us.ibm.         To:      xalan-c-users@xml.apache.org
                      com>                     cc:      (bcc: David N Bertoni/Cambridge/IBM)
                                               Subject: where's the beef?
                      04/24/2003 09:04
                      AM

----- Forwarded by Suzanne Dirkers/Raleigh/IBM on 04/24/2003 12:08 PM -----

                      Suzanne Dirkers

                                               To:
xalan-c-user@xml.apache.org
                      04/24/2003 11:50         cc:

                      AM                       From:     Suzanne
Dirkers/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS

Hi all,

         I was just trying to hunt down where XalanNode::getNodeValue()
gets defined to be something real, and would you believe I am having
trouble finding it?  It seems to be 'virtual' everywhere it is defined. The
documentation will take you to XalanElement and from there to various types
of elements ( ie, ElemTemplateElement, XalanSourceTreeElement...) but in
every one of THOSE we are still in virtual territory. My question is: who
does this for real?  I almost thought maybe this goes back to Xerces who
does it for real, but none of these functions seem to be derived from
anything in Xerces.

Thanks,
Suzanne