Posted to user@spark.apache.org by Benjamin Kim <bb...@gmail.com> on 2016/10/06 23:27:19 UTC

RESTful Endpoint and Spark

Has anyone tried to integrate Spark with a server farm of RESTful API endpoints or even HTTP web-servers for that matter? I know it’s typically done using a web farm as the presentation interface, then data flows through a firewall/router to direct calls to a JDBC listener that will SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE and, at times, DELETE data in a database. Can the same be done using Spark SQL Thriftserver on top of, say, HBase, Kudu, Parquet, etc.? Or can Kafka be used somewhere? Spark would be an ideal solution as the intermediary because it can talk to any data store underneath; so, swapping out a technology at any time would be possible.

Just want some ideas.

Thank,
Ben

Re: RESTful Endpoint and Spark

Posted by Benjamin Kim <bb...@gmail.com>.
It would appear the simple answer is to use the JDBC thriftserver in Spark.

Thanks,
Ben

Posted by Matei Zaharia <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ofer Eliassaf <of...@gmail.com>.
there are 2 main projects for that: livy(https://github.com/cloudera/livy)
and spark job server(https://github.com/spark-jobserver/spark-jobserver).

On Fri, Oct 7, 2016 at 2:27 AM, Benjamin Kim <bb...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Has anyone tried to integrate Spark with a server farm of RESTful API
> endpoints or even HTTP web-servers for that matter? I know it’s typically
> done using a web farm as the presentation interface, then data flows
> through a firewall/router to direct calls to a JDBC listener that will
> SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE and, at times, DELETE data in a database. Can the
> same be done using Spark SQL Thriftserver on top of, say, HBase, Kudu,
> Parquet, etc.? Or can Kafka be used somewhere? Spark would be an ideal
> solution as the intermediary because it can talk to any data store
> underneath; so, swapping out a technology at any time would be possible.
>
> Just want some ideas.
>
> Thank,
> Ben

Ofer Eliassaf