Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Doug MacEachern <do...@covalent.net> on 2002/06/11 19:17:28 UTC

--with-mpm=worker on freebsd

why is it on freebsd --with-mpm=worker actually compiles the prefork mpm?
i just tried building on icarus with the 2.0.37 tarball, same thang with
2.0.36

% cat config.nice
#! /bin/sh
#
# Created by configure

CFLAGS="-g"; export CFLAGS
"./configure" \
"--prefix=/home/dougm/apache2-worker" \
"--with-mpm=worker" \
"$@"

% ~/apache2-worker/bin/httpd -V
Server version: Apache/2.0.37
Server built:   Jun 11 2002 10:18:20
Server's Module Magic Number: 20020602:1
Architecture:   32-bit
Server compiled with....
 -D APACHE_MPM_DIR="server/mpm/prefork"

% ~/apache2-worker/bin/httpd -l | grep prefork
  prefork.c

Re: --with-mpm=worker on freebsd

Posted by Jeff Trawick <tr...@attglobal.net>.
Doug MacEachern <do...@covalent.net> writes:

> On Tue, 11 Jun 2002, Cliff Woolley wrote:
>
> > Because threads are forced to be disabled on FreeBSD.  I believe there's a
> > warning message about this in the ./configure output... you might just not
> > have noticed it as it scrolled by.
>
> that's odd, why not just abort with a message "sorry only prefork
> supported".

+1 to that

--
Jeff Trawick | trawick@attglobal.net
Born in Roswell... married an alien...

Re: --with-mpm=worker on freebsd

Posted by Greg Ames <gr...@apache.org>.
Doug MacEachern wrote:

> On Tue, 11 Jun 2002, Cliff Woolley wrote:
>
> > Because threads are forced to be disabled on FreeBSD.  I believe there's a
> > warning message about this in the ./configure output... you might just not
> > have noticed it as it scrolled by.
>
> that's odd, why not just abort with a message "sorry only prefork
> supported".  anyhow, if threads are always disabled on freebsd, then
> APR_HAS_THREADS should always be 0, right?

The _default_ on FreeBSD is no threads.  You can override this with
--enable-threads if you are brave.

Greg

Re: --with-mpm=worker on freebsd

Posted by Doug MacEachern <do...@covalent.net>.
On Tue, 11 Jun 2002, Cliff Woolley wrote:

> Because threads are forced to be disabled on FreeBSD.  I believe there's a
> warning message about this in the ./configure output... you might just not
> have noticed it as it scrolled by.

that's odd, why not just abort with a message "sorry only prefork
supported".  anyhow, if threads are always disabled on freebsd, then
APR_HAS_THREADS should always be 0, right?  a guy on the modperl list
compiled --with-mpm=worker on freebsd, his apr.h has:
#define APR_HAS_THREADS           1

he's running freebsd 4.5-release

also, aren't the thread issues solved in newer freebsd's?
icarus is running FreeBSD 4.6-RC #11: Mon Jun  3 17:17:13 PDT 2002

Re: --with-mpm=worker on freebsd

Posted by Cliff Woolley <jw...@virginia.edu>.
On Tue, 11 Jun 2002, Doug MacEachern wrote:

> why is it on freebsd --with-mpm=worker actually compiles the prefork
> mpm? i just tried building on icarus with the 2.0.37 tarball, same thang
> with 2.0.36

Because threads are forced to be disabled on FreeBSD.  I believe there's a
warning message about this in the ./configure output... you might just not
have noticed it as it scrolled by.

--Cliff

Re: --with-mpm=worker on freebsd

Posted by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org>.
"Doug MacEachern" <do...@covalent.net> wrote:

> why is it on freebsd --with-mpm=worker actually compiles the prefork mpm?
> i just tried building on icarus with the 2.0.37 tarball, same thang with
> 2.0.36
>
> % cat config.nice
> #! /bin/sh
> #
> # Created by configure
>
> CFLAGS="-g"; export CFLAGS
> "./configure" \
> "--prefix=/home/dougm/apache2-worker" \
> "--with-mpm=worker" \
> "$@"
>
> % ~/apache2-worker/bin/httpd -V
> Server version: Apache/2.0.37
> Server built:   Jun 11 2002 10:18:20
> Server's Module Magic Number: 20020602:1
> Architecture:   32-bit
> Server compiled with....
> -D APACHE_MPM_DIR="server/mpm/prefork"
>
> % ~/apache2-worker/bin/httpd -l | grep prefork
> prefork.c

Hmm.. The latest HEAD distribution works great on solaris with worker

$ /opt/apache/bin/httpd -l | grep worker
worker.c
$

    Pier