Posted to users@myfaces.apache.org by Amit Modi <AM...@northstar.com> on 2004/12/30 19:34:25 UTC

JSF - iteration tags

Hi,

I am new to JSF and using MyFaces to create a simple application.
I created a Tabbed Panel containing various tabs (using panelTabbedPane and
tabPanel components).

But what I wish to do is obtain a list of tabs from my tab configuration xml
and create these tabs dynamically iterating over the list I obtain from my
configuration file.

Is there a pure JSF way of iterating over this list and create tabs
dynamically at runtime or I have to use JSTL (or may be my own custom tags)?

Thanks
Amit Modi

Re: JSF - iteration tags

Posted by Heath Borders <he...@gmail.com>.
You should be able to programmatically build your tabbed panel in a
backing bean and bind your JSP tag to that component using JSF's
component binding facility.

You cannot use any JSF tags inside JSTL tags that iterate over body
content (no foreach).

--
-Heath Borders-Wing
hborders@mail.win.org

Re: JSF - iteration tags

Posted by Werner Punz <we...@gmx.at>.
No pure JSF way to my knowledge (ran into the
same problem, a while ago),
JSTL does the trick in most cases, though.
(But there are limitations in mixing JSTL and JSF)

Werner

Re: JSF - iteration tags

Posted by Michał Małecki <Mi...@man.poznan.pl>.
Hello,
sorry for bothering (I'm not jsf expert) bu is it good to create jsf
(jsp pages) which tags create such exact html elements? I'm rather fan
of using panelGrid, which instead of creating simple table, creates html
code based on some template. Please tell me what do you think about such
solution

regars
Micha� Ma�ecki

Re: JSF - iteration tags

Posted by Michał Małecki <Mi...@man.poznan.pl>.
Hello Matthias,
thanks for the link. But are there any, at least a little mature,
alternative viehandlers? I haven't found any bundled with myfaces, I saw
xul handler with jsf ri (interesting). I know that my template panel is
simple a mere substitute for a great view handler that would solve all
problems ;) but I don't se anything like that nowhere. Do you think of
developing some others viewhandlers inside myfaces?
Micha�

Re: JSF - iteration tags

Posted by Heath Borders <he...@gmail.com>.
I think you've got your jargon a bit mixed up.

ViewHandler: Just handles saving and restoring the state of the view.
This is independent of the rendering technology.

Renderkit: Renders the JSP code into whatever display technology you
are using.  For instance, the basic renderkit renders to HTML, the
RI's XUL renderkit renders to XUL.

Renderer: A member of a renderkit that renders a single UIComponent.
These are implementation specific.  So, each JSF implementation must
make their own renderers for each UIComponent.

--
-Heath Borders-Wing
hborders@mail.win.org

RE: JSF - iteration tags

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@matthias-wessendorf.de>.
Hi Michael,

yes I saw the XUL ViewHandler inside of the non-jsp examples;
(XulViewHandlerImpl.java)

I haven't tried it. But sure, XUL is interessting.

Inside of MyFaces there exists an optional ViewHandler that enables you
to use Tiles.
Here are examples:
http://www.apache.org/~matzew/
(the last link is the TilesViewHandler example)

Another thing that could be intressting, regarding the Bersten article
is the smile project, hosted at SF.net

Smile is currently not active, but they provide a ViewHandler
that enables you to use Classes instead of JSP, for building
your web apps.

Like:
<code>
public class Welcome extends AbstractDemo {
	public UIComponent createContent() {
		HtmlOutputLabel label = new HtmlOutputLabel();
		label.setId("input");
		label.setValue("Welcome to the home page of the Smile
demosite! To view Smile in action, select a demo from the menu on the
left.");

		return label;
	}
}
</code>

This is a nice approach, so you may look deeper
inside...

Code for ViewHandler is here:
http://tinyurl.com/6uz4n

example files are here:
http://tinyurl.com/44fyp

HTH,
Matthias

Re: JSF - iteration tags

Posted by Michał Małecki <mi...@poczta.onet.pl>.
Hello Matthias,

RE: JSF - iteration tags

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@matthias-wessendorf.de>.
Hi Michael,

Re: JSF - iteration tags

Posted by Heath Borders <he...@gmail.com>.

Re: JSF - iteration tags

Posted by Michał Małecki <mi...@poczta.onet.pl>.
Hello,

Re: JSF - iteration tags

Posted by Heath Borders <he...@gmail.com>.
There already is a complete set of HTML JSF tags that is freely
available with source.

I'll get a link for it on monday when I get back to work.

--
-Heath Borders-Wing
hborders@mail.win.org

RE: JSF - iteration tags

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@matthias-wessendorf.de>.
Travis,

RE: JSF - iteration tags

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@matthias-wessendorf.de>.
well...

TinyURL is much nicer...

http://tinyurl.com/3sfcn

RE: JSF - iteration tags

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@matthias-wessendorf.de>.
Kumar,

Re: JSF - iteration tags

Posted by Heath Borders <he...@gmail.com>.

--
-Heath Borders-Wing
hborders@mail.win.org

Re: JSF - iteration tags

Posted by Kumar Dharm <ku...@gmail.com>.
Guys,

Re: JSF - iteration tags

Posted by Travis Reeder <tr...@ecommstats.com>.
Sure.  ;)

--
Travis Reeder
Ecommstats Web Analytics

(was RE: JSF - iteration tags)

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004, Matthias Wessendorf wrote:

<snip/>

> Bill Dudney added <x:div/>
> http://incubator.apache.org/myfaces/tlddoc/x/div.html

A couple of comments on this:

1) The docs for this tag say that either style or styleClass must be
specified. Why is this necessary? If the div is simply there for use in
manipulation by JavaScript, there would be no style involved.

2) The attribute documentation needs another column (or some other means)
to specify the default value for attributes. For example, the docs for
<x:div> give no indication of what happens if I don't specify values for
the 'rendering' and 'transient' attributes. While this could be added in
the Description, as is done for 'id', it's all too easy to forget to add
it, which is probably what happened for the others in this tag.

--
Martin Cooper

RE: JSF - iteration tags

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@matthias-wessendorf.de>.