Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Vic <vi...@friendvu.com> on 2004/12/03 00:56:10 UTC

Object configuration and ... JMX dreaming

We have talked CoR, IoC... but not yet JMX/Modeler.

Tomcat 5.5 has JMX.

If any "singleton" types are in the registry, and we get them from
registry.....

It's a big chunk to bite of.
I still do not know how to use JMX, but . . .

What if there was a way that object in the Chain XML Catalog commands
where imeditely  in modeler Registry transparently? So CoR is... JMX-able?

The benfit is that it can be monitored, like how many sessions, and bla
bla. Or at least enable users to build monitored applications.
(Like Tomcat 5.5, even on the main menu has monitoring)

Modeler does not have much configration code AFAIK, it's just a registry
for monitoring AFAIK.

It' just an idea and I know... code. (I am sure Tomcat 5.5 has
something) I will post some large SoA/dispacher contraption in 10 days
or so (on my site).
.V

Re: Object configuration and ... JMX dreaming

Posted by Vic <vi...@friendvu.com>.
Being able to monitor is a big deal! As soon as we know what this
RequestProcessBeanThingObject is, anyone can make an mBean. Then it be
obvois that you do want to look at it.

My use case is that I want to look at DAO cache and Lucene cache for
hits/misses and size of SoftHashMap % relative to VM heap size. This is
realy hard to get via stress test and lets you evalute your design
decsssions.  Also, I can force invalidate something out of turn. For
example lets say I update content on the back end DB, now I want DAO and
Lucene to reset.
Also my clients LOVE to look at monitors. Man I show them some stress
test tool that shows sessions and what type they are, now all the
digintaries look at it. THEY want to buy a 60" LCD to put in the
recpetion of IT!
Monitoring makes them feel that they are doing something to the CEO.
The saying at IBM used to be that the value of system is messured by
managemnt in pounds of paper it produces. Everyone loves reports on
their desk.
1.5 has a bulit in JMX VM monitor, look at it once and there goes your
productivity.

In the "old days", 3 tier meant client/server and managment tier.

JMX sounds scary but it was easy once I read up enough.
Also, I do not think it's intrusive now, in the sense  thatno mater what
the RequestProcessBeanThingObject is, it can be monitored.
I think it'd be one of the more popular features.

Hell, it can be done for 1.27 or whatever the counter says, and no, it
does not force you to have 1.5 but I can't image it working w/1.3.

.V

Posted by Vic <vi...@friendvu.com>.
Niall Pemberton wrote:
> Vic,
>
> Are you thinking this would this be a good idea to manage the "Struts API
> Bean" thats being talked about?
>
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.jakarta.struts.devel/23601

Exactly! Not sure what version. Just expose it for now.

> ... or did you have other ideas where it could be put to work?

Maybe in some version we can configure things in there. While in
produciton reload Struts, Validation, comands, configure view capabilities.

I do have now a design that exposes my DAO to JMX. Main part:
public class MonitorSrv extends HttpServlet {

	public void init() { // load on start up

		HtmlAdaptorServer srv = new HtmlAdaptorServer(8082);
		// this is part of Sun RI + port

		BaseJmx jmx = BaseJmx.getInstance();
		// this is just a MBean server based on RI
		//I used instead of modeler Reigster object

		try {

			jmx.register(srv);

		} catch (Exception e) {

			. . .
		}

		srv.start();

	}

Posted by Joe Germuska <Jo...@Germuska.com>.
At 5:45 AM -0600 12/3/04, Vic wrote:
>Yes Vic, good idea ;-).  Resin also has a quick JMX tutorial:

To save you from talking to yourself ;-), I think JMX instrumentation
for Struts is a very cool idea.  Then again, I can't describe any
specific use cases for it myself at the moment.  I'm sure I could
come up with some given some time.  Maybe folks can start
articulating some (perhaps in the Wiki) so that the idea can take
shape...

Joe

>http://www.caucho.com/resin-3.0/jmx/tutorial/basic/index.xtp
>
>It look like IoC to me.
>

>.V
>

>Vic wrote:
>>We have talked CoR, IoC... but not yet JMX/Modeler.
>>
>>Tomcat 5.5 has JMX.
>>
>>If any "singleton" types are in the registry, and we get them from
>>registry.....
>>
>>It's a big chunk to bite of.
>>I still do not know how to use JMX, but . . .
>>
>>What if there was a way that object in the Chain XML Catalog
>>commands where imeditely  in modeler Registry transparently? So CoR
>>is... JMX-able?
>>
>>The benfit is that it can be monitored, like how many sessions, and
>>bla bla. Or at least enable users to build monitored applications.
>>(Like Tomcat 5.5, even on the main menu has monitoring)
>>
>>Modeler does not have much configration code AFAIK, it's just a
>>registry for monitoring AFAIK.
>>
>>It' just an idea and I know... code. (I am sure Tomcat 5.5 has
>>something) I will post some large SoA/dispacher contraption in 10
>>days or so (on my site).
>>.V

Joe Germuska
Joe@Germuska.com
http://blog.germuska.com

Re: Object configuration and ... JMX dreaming

Posted by Vic <vi...@friendvu.com>.