Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by dh...@lexmark.com on 2004/03/04 17:23:13 UTC

Help with random submission but constant throughput

Hi,

I am trying to simulate 180 users hitting a web site randomly, but know
that the throughput should be the web site submitting 1 job every 2 seconds
to the backend.

Any ideas how to combine random rate and yet still control the throughput?

Many thanks,

David

Re: Help with random submission but constant throughput

Posted by Craig Palmer <cr...@peace.com>.
 From what I understand of your goals, I think the best approach is to
modify the constant throughput timer so that it has randomness (not a
difficult modification). That way, on average over time you get the
exact required rate you require, but at a micro level you get
randomness that stops cyclic thread access patterns (regardless of
when the threads start).

Using other timers with randomness in your scenarios wont keep a
constant rate becuase they execute in addition to your samplers. The
Constant Throughput Timer is the only element I know of that will
attempt to control overall rate.

Craig.

dhay@lexmark.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to simulate 180 users hitting a web site randomly, but know
> that the throughput should be the web site submitting 1 job every 2 seconds
> to the backend.
>
> Any ideas how to combine random rate and yet still control the throughput?
>
> Many thanks,
>
> David

Craig Palmer                    Mobile NZ: +64 21 755 254
Peace Software                  URL: http://www.peace.com
                                 Email: craig.palmer@peace.com