Posted to user@hive.apache.org by bharath vissapragada <bh...@gmail.com> on 2012/02/04 17:47:02 UTC

Hive projects for Google Summer of code 2012 ?

Hey list, devs,

Google summer of code, 2012 's notification [1] has been released and
mentoring organizations can submit their proposals to Google for opensource
projects.

Any of the devs interested in mentoring students on Hive projects ( any
critical jiras etc.) ?  It would be great if any of the devs (dev list
cc'ed) can do that on behalf of ASF .

It would be a great opportunity for  many students to contribute patches to
Hadoop and Hive and make their summer vacation fruitful.

[1] http://google-melange.appspot.com/gsoc/events/google/gsoc2012

Thanks and Regards,
Bharath .V
w:http://researchweb.iiit.ac.in/~bharath.v

Re: Hive projects for Google Summer of code 2012 ?

Posted by Edward Capriolo <ed...@gmail.com>.
I meant 0-2 over the past few years. I was wrong in any case. My bad.

Posted by Carl Steinbach <ca...@cloudera.com>.
Ed,

Posted by Edward Capriolo <ed...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Namit Jain <nj...@fb.com>.
Done

Posted by bharath vissapragada <bh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Namit,

Posted by Namit Jain <nj...@fb.com>.

Posted by Alexis De La Cruz Toledo <al...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Namit Jain <nj...@fb.com>.

Posted by Alexis De La Cruz Toledo <al...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Namit Jain <nj...@fb.com>.
Hi Alexis/Bharath,

Posted by Ashutosh Chauhan <ha...@apache.org>.
Hi Alexis,

Posted by Alexis De La Cruz Toledo <al...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ashutosh Chauhan <ha...@apache.org>.
Hey Bharath,

Re: Fwd: Hive projects for Google Summer of code 2012 ?

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org>.
Peter,

On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 2:38 PM, Peter Linnell` <pl...@cloudera.com> wrote:

> Count me in too. I have mentored now 4 or 5 times, so I am quite familiar
> with the process. What we should be doing now is preparing the application.
>
> On Scribus we have structured the proposal like this:
> http://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/Category:GSOC_2011
>
> In short we need ideas for students and a time line with folks to handle the
> tasks at deadline.
>
> The other important thing is to ensure students are well briefed on
> expectations in advance, hence we have:
>
> http://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/GSoC_2011_Student_Requirements

Sounds like you've volunteered ;-)

Given the experience you've had with GSOC, could you, please start
the ball rolling with all the paperwork, etc. ?

I'm totally available as a mentor (and I think Bruno is interested as well)
so at least we've got 3 mentors and I think it should be enough to
get us started.

Thanks,
Roman.

Re: Fwd: Hive projects for Google Summer of code 2012 ?

Posted by Peter Linnell` <pl...@cloudera.com>.
Hi,

On 02/06/2012 11:27 AM, Bruno Mahé wrote:
> Sure! It sounds like a great idea.
> Count me in.

Count me in too. I have mentored now 4 or 5 times, so I am quite
familiar with the process. What we should be doing now is preparing the
application.

On Scribus we have structured the proposal like this:
http://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/Category:GSOC_2011

In short we need ideas for students and a time line with folks to handle
the tasks at deadline.

The other important thing is to ensure students are well briefed on
expectations in advance, hence we have:

http://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/GSoC_2011_Student_Requirements

Thanks,
Peter