Posted to dev@shindig.apache.org by Han Nguyen <hn...@us.ibm.com> on 2009/07/08 21:27:35 UTC

Is pub/sub from trunk broken?

Hello,
My teammate and I synched down the code from the trunk yesterday, and our
previously working pub/sub test cases are now broken with the below error
found in FF console.
Has anyone seen this error? is pub/sub broken?

uncaught exception: An invalid or illegal string was specified
(NS_ERROR_DOM_SYNTAX_ERR)
        targetWin.postMessage(gadgets.json.stringify(rpc), relay);

Thanks much!
Han

Re: Is pub/sub from trunk broken?

Posted by Andy B Smith <an...@us.ibm.com>.
I've had the same issue with the basic sample in Shindig
(sample-pubsub.html).  I get the same results when I test with the latest
from trunk deployed in Tomcat 6.0.20.

Sample:  http://localhost:8080/gadgets/files/container/sample-pubsub.html
Error (Safari): pubsub.js:712  Error: SYNTAX_ERR: DOM Exception 12

  .   relay: "../../files/container/rpc_relay.html"
  .   rpc: Object
        .   a: Array
        .   c: 0
        .   f: ".."
        .   l: false
        .   s: "pubsub"
        .   t: "1878783314"
  .   targetId: "remote_iframe_1"

Thanks,

Andy Smith

Re: Bugs in rpc.js? (Was: Is pub/sub from trunk broken?)

Posted by Stephen Voorhees <st...@autodesk.com>.
I grabbed the latest and rpc/dynamic height are now working on IE8, thanks!

Still not working on earlier versions of IE and on Chrome, I'll dig into it more in the next few days.

On 7/13/09 10:36 AM, "Stephen Voorhees" <st...@autodesk.com> wrote:

>You might try updating to the most recent trunk.  I committed some fixes
> that insure that IE8 uses the postMessage (wpm) transport this past week.

Thanks, I had pulled the latest right before your commit.  I'll pull it and see if it helps.

On 7/12/09 11:24 PM, "Paul Lindner" <li...@inuus.com> wrote:

You might try updating to the most recent trunk.  I committed some fixes
that insure that IE8 uses the postMessage (wpm) transport this past week.

Posted by Stephen Voorhees <st...@autodesk.com>.

Posted by Paul Lindner <li...@inuus.com>.

Posted by Stephen Voorhees <st...@autodesk.com>.
> That's what it used to be. As I recall, the assumption was supposed to be
> that the "parent" parameter *would* just be the origin, and parentRelayUrl
> should contain the rest of the path.
>
> In that sense, the recent change does make some sense, though it seems a bit
> over complicated for my tastes. I'd prefer that the parameter simply be
> "relay_file" or something like that, and point to the exact location of the
> relay. Anything else just seems like a bug waiting to happen.

Yeah, its a bit confusing.  The documentation in container.js indicates it'll just append parentRelayUrl to the parent parameter, but in reality it appends parentRelayUrl to the origin portion of the parent parameter.  Now that I know how it is intended to work it's fine but could confuse others.  A "relay_file" or "origin" parameter may be more clear.

Posted by Kevin Brown <et...@google.com>.

Posted by Stephen Voorhees <st...@autodesk.com>.

Posted by Andy B Smith <an...@us.ibm.com>.
In the sample, it looks like the parent url is being set properly in the
IFrame URL, so I do not believe that was the issue.  We did find that the
following change resolved the pubsub issues:

  this.serverBase_ = 'http://' + document.location.host+'/gadgets/'; //
default gadget server

Andy Smith

Re: Is pub/sub from trunk broken?

Posted by Kevin Brown <et...@google.com>.

Posted by Han Nguyen <hn...@us.ibm.com>.
Kevin,
I didn't specify the value for the "parent" parameter of the iframe url. I
think it was built by the framework.
I ran the sample-pubsub.html and have the same problem as Andy's

Thanks,
Han

From:
Kevin Brown <et...@google.com>
To:
shindig-dev@incubator.apache.org
Date:
07/09/2009 04:30 PM

Posted by Kevin Brown <et...@google.com>.

Posted by Han Nguyen <hn...@us.ibm.com>.
Kevin,
The relay value is:
           /gadgets/files/container/rpc_relay.html

And the targetWin value is
Window
ifr?container=default&mid=1&nocache=1&country=ALL&lang=ALL&view=default&
parent=http%3A%2F%2Flocalhost%3A8080
&st=john.doe:john.doe:appid:cont:url:0:1&url=http%3A%2F%2Flocalhost%3A8080%2Fmum%2Ftest%2FosgSub.xml#rpctoken=600865889

From:
Kevin Brown <et...@google.com>
To:
shindig-dev@incubator.apache.org

[...]