Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Matheo Software <in...@matheo-software.com> on 2020/12/01 12:28:25 UTC

Solr8.7 - How to optmize my index ?

Hi All,

With Solr5.4, I used the UI button but in Solr8.7 UI this button is missing.

So I decide to use the command line:

curl http://xxxxxxx:8983/solr/my_core/update?optimize=true

My collection my_core exists of course.

The answer of the command line is:

{

  "responseHeader":{

    "status":0,

    "QTime":18}

}

But nothing change.

I always have 38M deleted docs in my collection and directory size no change
like with solr5.4.

The size of the collection stay always at : 466.33Go

Could you tell me how can I purge deleted docs ?

Cordialement, Best Regards

Bruno Mannina

 <http://www.matheo-software.com> www.matheo-software.com

 <http://www.patent-pulse.com> www.patent-pulse.com

Tél. +33 0 970 738 743

Mob. +33 0 634 421 817

 <https://www.facebook.com/PatentPulse> facebook (1)
<https://twitter.com/matheosoftware> 1425551717
<https://www.linkedin.com/company/matheo-software> 1425551737
<https://www.youtube.com/user/MatheoSoftware> 1425551760

Re: Solr8.7 - How to optmize my index ?

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
Dave:

Yeah, every time there’s generic advice, there’s some situations where it’s not the best choice ;).

In your situation, you’re trading of some space savings for moving up to 450G all at once. Which sounds like it is worthwhile to you, although I’d check perf numbers sometime....

You may want to check out expungeDeletes. That will deal only with segments with more than 10% deleted docs, and may get you most all of the benefits of optimize without the problems. Specifically, let’s say you have a segment right at the limit (5G by default) that has exactly one deleted doc. Optimize will rewrite that, expungeDeletes will not. It’s an open question whether there’s any practical difference, ‘cause if all the segments in your index have > 10% deleted documents, they all get rewritten in either case….

And the mechanism for optimize changed pretty significantly in Solr 7.5, the short form is that before that the result was a single massive segment, whereas after that the default max segment size of 5G is respected by default (although you can force to one segment if you take explicit actions).

Here are two articles that explain it all:
Pre Solr 7.4: https://lucidworks.com/post/segment-merging-deleted-documents-optimize-may-bad/
Post Solr 7.4: https://lucidworks.com/post/solr-and-optimizing-your-index-take-ii/

Best,
Erick

Posted by Dave <ha...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Walter Underwood <wu...@wunderwood.org>.
Even better DO NOT OPTIMIZE.

Just let Solr manage the indexes automatically.

wunder
Walter Underwood
wunder@wunderwood.org

Posted by Info MatheoSoftware <in...@matheosoftware.com>.