Posted to dev@karaf.apache.org by Andrei Pozolotin <an...@gmail.com> on 2013/04/10 06:49:11 UTC

semantic features

    *Jean-Baptiste*

    FYI:

    in case karaf community is interested in semantic versioning for the
    karaf features, here is the idea:

    a combination of
    * aries version check plugin 0.1.0
    * maven bundle plugin 2.4.0 / bnd 2.0.0
    * RFC 197 OSGi Package and Type Annotations
    * fixed build of karaf plugin 3.0.0

    allows to use semantic versioning on both bundles and features all
    the way through the release pipeline.

    example:

    1) before (this is how karaf plugin processes version ranges now)
    https://github.com/barchart/barchart-version-tester/blob/master/one-zoo/doc/feature-01.xml

    2) after (this is how fixed karaf plugin does it)
    https://github.com/barchart/barchart-version-tester/blob/master/one-zoo/doc/feature-02.xml

    3) here is the punch line: the same application feature definition
    pom.xml
    https://github.com/barchart/barchart-version-tester/blob/master/one-zoo/pom.xml
    allows to transition from original set of bundles
    https://github.com/barchart/barchart-version-tester/blob/master/one-zoo/doc/feature-02.xml
    to the following updated set of bundles
    https://github.com/barchart/barchart-version-tester/blob/master/one-zoo/doc/feature-03.xml
    merely by evolving and releasing the underlying bundles, w/o
    changing the application aggregation pom.xml, or any interim
    dependency pom.xml
    thanks to automatic semantic version ranges resolution. appropriate
    final versions will be selected from version ranges and baked into
    the released feature.xml

    here is plugin patch
    https://github.com/barchart/barchart-maven-karaf-plugin/blob/master/patch/current.patch

    and complete documentation
    https://github.com/barchart/barchart-version-tester/wiki/Version-Policy

    Cheers,

    Andrei

Re: semantic features

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Andrei,

I was with a customer yesterday and the day before. I'm busy this
morning but I gonna take a look this afternoon (I plan to work on Cellar
especially).

Thanks !
Regards
JB