Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by ope <op...@yahoo.com> on 2002/08/17 00:32:55 UTC

Using Tomcat as a proxy?

I am looking for a way to use Tomcat as a proxy
similar to the way that Apache can be setup to proxy
to Tomcat.  What I want to do is have Tomcat setup so
that any URLs that have the path
http://myserver/someapp are forwarded to
http://otherserver/someapp.

I have seen a few vague references to Tomcat doing
this but have not been able to find any real
documentation.  Does anyone know of some way that I
can this?  Any links or hints?

Re: Using Tomcat as a proxy?

Posted by ope <op...@yahoo.com>.
> Why would you want to use a Java Servlet Container
> to do proxying? It's like
> using a Space Shuttle to do door-to-door delivery.
> If you need proxying, use
> Squid or Apache.

The reason I have to do this is to make the best of a
rather brain dead product deployment.  This is not a
long term fix but it is only a temporary fix to keep
customers happy for two months until we can change
everything.  I got thrown into the whole mix after the
fact.  Unfortunately installing Apache or Squid (my
first suggestion) on the clients site is not an
option.

> If you want to have pieces of other sites inside
> your webapp, the it is a whole
> new ball game.

Ultimately this is the idea.  Basically we need to use
our webapp to get a page from another server and pass
it back to the user but make it appear that it came
from our webapp.  It is an ugly thing to do but I need
to find a quick fix before I can work on a real fix.
If you have any ideas, suggestions or links I would
appreciate it.

Re: Using Tomcat as a proxy?

Posted by Nikola Milutinovic <Ni...@ev.co.yu>.
ope wrote:

> I am looking for a way to use Tomcat as a proxy
> similar to the way that Apache can be setup to proxy
> to Tomcat.  What I want to do is have Tomcat setup so
> that any URLs that have the path
> http://myserver/someapp are forwarded to
> http://otherserver/someapp.

Apache can do this with mod_rewrite ONLY IF mod_cache is loaded. Iæm not aware
of any proxy capability in Tomcat.

> I have seen a few vague references to Tomcat doing
> this but have not been able to find any real
> documentation.  Does anyone know of some way that I
> can this?  Any links or hints?

Why would you want to use a Java Servlet Container to do proxying? It's like
using a Space Shuttle to do door-to-door delivery. If you need proxying, use
Squid or Apache.

If you want to have pieces of other sites inside your webapp, the it is a whole
new ball game.

Nix.