Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com> on 2001/04/20 09:58:21 UTC

RE: Problems with profiler

I want to point out that Santiago is talking about the Profile Manager
Service, which is not enabled with the default 1.3a1 release,
although it is completely functional. There are several of us that I know of
now using it.

Enable it in your JR.p:

services.ProfileManager.enable=true

It also uses a different directory structure, also supporting groups and
roles ...

psml

 |--users
 |    |---turbine
 |    |---admin
 |    |---default

 |--groups
 |    |---marketing

 |--roles
 |    |---programmer

This is a different psml layout, which coexists with the one used by the
older profile system

psml
 |---turbine
 |---admin
 |---default

> I had configured a /WEB-INF/psml/default/ directory to handle
> anon.dir.
> I think this should be the default, or else when a user tries
> to get the
> "default" user name we can get into trouble.

It wasn't meant to be configured that way.
It expects you to use a directory relative to the /psml/user directory, such
as 'default' or 'anon' or ''
Using '' (empty) allows you to double the use of the default user fallback
resources as anonymous resources
Given, this will cause a problem with a user named 'anon'
Perhaps we should preconfigure the database with a 'anon' user, which will
disallow anyone from creating a new user with that name...

> think that the default psml space should be separated from the user,
> group or role ones.
>
> Thoughts on this?

Default spaces fallback from the more specific to least. This allows you to
place your resource anywhere in the psml tree hierarchy and it will
eventually fallback and be found. Thats why I disagree with puttig the

I have since started on yet another profiling service that will be part of
the new customization subsystem, under the psml branch in cvs.
It is based on the Profile Manager Service and I plan for it to use the same
fallback algorithm, including language support like what ingo just put in

> Also, when the Profiler returned the exception, the account
> is created
> but no mail is sent, as the exception is not captured. I
> have commited
> a try{} catch {} around, so that mail is sent if the profiler fails.

it should be fixed now try it ....it was broken sometime recently not sure
when

- david

RE: Problems with profiler

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.

> Raphael Luta wrote:
>
> I suggest that we enable it by default for 1.3a2 and drop the
> legacy profiler.
>
> > <snip>

+1
I will (finally) add the profiler-NLS code for 1.3a2.

Re: Problems with profiler

Posted by Raphaƫl Luta <ra...@networks.groupvu.com>.
David Sean Taylor wrote:

> I want to point out that Santiago is talking about the Profile Manager
> Service, which is not enabled with the default 1.3a1 release,
> although it is completely functional. There are several of us that I know of
> now using it.

I suggest that we enable it by default for 1.3a2 and drop the legacy profiler.

> <snip>
>
> > Also, when the Profiler returned the exception, the account
> > is created
> > but no mail is sent, as the exception is not captured. I
> > have commited
> > a try{} catch {} around, so that mail is sent if the profiler fails.
>
> it should be fixed now try it ....it was broken sometime recently not sure
> when

My fault, it was broken when I removed EngineContext. I only tested the default
Jetspeed configuration and thus did not catch the bug...

Vivendi Universal Networks - Paris