Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Jinsong Hu <ji...@hotmail.com> on 2010/09/04 01:31:29 UTC

CDH3 has 2 versions of hbase executable, one work, another doesn't

I noticed that CDH3 has 2 executable

/usr/bin/hbase

/usr/lib/hbase/bin/hbase

I compared them and they are different. it turns out that I run

/usr/bin/hbase shell

and then list table, it works, but if I run

/usr/lib/hbase/bin/hbase shell

and list tables, it freezes. In the next distribution, please make
/usr/lib/hbase/bin/hbase
a softlink to /usr/bin/hbase , or the otherway. and make sure the executable
works.

Jimmy.

Re: CDH3 has 2 versions of hbase executable, one work, another doesn't

Posted by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com>.
Hi Jimmy,

This is a known bug in our packaging:
https://issues.cloudera.org/browse/DISTRO-23

We'll resolve it in our next beta.

Thanks
-Todd

--
Todd Lipcon
Software Engineer, Cloudera

Re: CDH3 has 2 versions of hbase executable, one work, another doesn't

Posted by Edward Capriolo <ed...@gmail.com>.
Jimmy.

Many people across the forums seem to be confusing cdh with the
upstream hadoop/hive/hbase projects. In this case the problem is in
the cdh packaging and not in upstream hbase.

The proper place to take up packaging issues is with the packager.
When you are new to software this might be confusing.

To be clear hadoop, hive, and hbase are open source products that come
in a tar.gz. if you notice an issue in the core functionality that
would be appropriate for xxxx-user@apache , but if you are running
into a problem with a derivative package this may not be the place to
get that resolved.