Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Šoltís Ján <ja...@softec.sk> on 2005/11/02 17:33:54 UTC

performace issues with many date pickers in a page

Has anoyone come across performace issues with many date pickers in a page?

Loading and initializing of the page in a browser (client side) takes way too much time if you have more (say more than 5) date pickers. On my computer it takes 300 ms per one date picker. Loading the page with 10 datepickers takes about 3 seconds.

The problem is with the Calendar.prototype.create JavaScript function.

Shouldn't we optimize the creation of date picker, maybe by reusing dynamically created DOM element in some way?

Thanks for your responses
jan

Re: performace issues with many date pickers in a page

Posted by Matt Brock <br...@gmail.com>.

Pedro Abelleira Seco wrote:

> I also have noticed this. In fact, I think we are going to quit using
> the date picker if the performance problems have to do exclusively with
> it. Any experiences about how to speed things up?
>
> BTW, I noticed that is works faster in Firefox than in IE.

Reviving this topic from the dead...

I've had my own set of problems with the Tap4/4.1 DatePicker and decided to
look at the code.

Wow.

So, first off... the DatePicker is being generated using DOM
create/attachElement methods, which is
http://www.quirksmode.org/dom/innerhtml.html dog-slow compared to innerHTML
.  For those suffering under older versions of IE, you're looking at an
order of magnitude drop in performance.

But there's a bigger issue: Why you doesn't the component render its own
body? It's just crazy.  You know, every time I hack a work-around to some
Tapestry limitation I'm admonished about doing things "The Tapestry Way,"
and yet here's a core component that's being generated in Javascript, and in
the slowest way possible.  At least it was easy enough to rewrite.

Re: performace issues with many date pickers in a page

Posted by Pedro Abelleira Seco <pe...@usc.es>.
I also have noticed this. In fact, I think we are going to quit using
the date picker if the performance problems have to do exclusively with
it. Any experiences about how to speed things up?

BTW, I noticed that is works faster in Firefox than in IE.

Regards
Pedro