Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Andy Olliver <an...@slyfrog.com> on 2002/01/17 00:19:10 UTC

DBCP - con.isClosed() takes long time with MS SQL

I am checking functionality of pooling by running 2 consecutive tests:

open connection
close connection - repeated x1000
DBCP proves to be much faster than with no pooling (as expected).
if I add one more step to each test:
  open connection
  connection.isClosed()
  close connection
the timings change massively - DBCP now takes longer than without pooling.

I would expect times for each test to increase by the same amount, since the
underlying connection object should be handling the con.isClosed call, and
DelegatingConnection seems to pass request straight on.

This change in response times only seems signification when testing against
MS SQL.

Is there a simple explanation for this ?

thanks

Andy