Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by venkatesha murthy <ve...@gmail.com> on 2014/10/05 22:18:49 UTC

[math] SynchronizedDescriptiveStatistics - Instead of using synchronized should we use read/write locks

I see that this class and other SynchronizedSummaryStatistic class is using
old style synchronized which synchronizes both reads and writes...so was
wondering if we should switch to locks for better concurrency on reads

Does any one have a concern if i make this change

-Murthy

Re: [math] SynchronizedDescriptiveStatistics - Instead of using synchronized should we use read/write locks

Posted by Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>.
On Mon, 6 Oct 2014 01:48:49 +0530, venkatesha murthy wrote:
> I see that this class and other SynchronizedSummaryStatistic class is
> using
> old style synchronized which synchronizes both reads and writes...so
> was
> wondering if we should switch to locks for better concurrency on
> reads
>
> Does any one have a concern if i make this change

Improvements are welcome. Are there any implications such as on
backward compatibility?
Beware to only use features available in Java 5.
Please also provide some unit/performance tests.
I'd suggest to change one class at a time.

Thanks,
Gilles