Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Emilian Bold <em...@apache.org> on 2017/06/12 07:35:50 UTC

Commercial Support page

Hello,

I have created with Geertjan the commercial support page for Apache
NetBeans (Incubating):

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NETBEANS/Commercial+Support

This is in line with the commercial support pages I've seen on
other[1][2][3][4] Apache projects.

Please add yourself or your company if you are offering commercial
services related to NetBeans.

I believe we can leave the wiki open for all initially. The Apache
TomEE additions policy[5] seems very common sense and could be used as
an inspiration later on:

> The [...P]PMC does not and cannot endorse or recommend any products or services.
>
> All submitted information must be factual and informational in nature and not be a marketing statement. Statements that promote your products and services over other offerings on the page will not be tolerated and will be removed. Such marketing statements can be added to your own pages on your own site.
>
> When in doubt, email the [...P]PMC list [...] and ask. We are be happy to help.

We could also have a commercial support page on the main website.

1. https://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/Support
2. https://mahout.apache.org/general/professional-support.html
3. https://james.apache.org/support.html
4. http://tomee.apache.org/commercial-support.html
5. http://tomee.apache.org/add-my-offering.html

--emi

Re: Commercial Support page

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@gmail.com>.
> In that case we can add "non breaking space" &nbsp; instead of underscore

Thanks! This did the trick.

--emi

Re: Commercial Support page

Posted by Tushar Joshi <tu...@gmail.com>.

Re: Commercial Support page

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@gmail.com>.
> can we change “Applicant_Name” to “Applicant Name”

I did that on purpose to force some width to the column. Confluence
will split the table header on two lines and leave most of the table
width to the 'Details' column...

--emi

Re: Commercial Support page

Posted by Richard Lowery <Ri...@guilding.com>.

Re: Commercial Support page

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Jun 13, 2017 at 7:59 AM, Geertjan Wielenga
<ge...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> ...if we err on the side of being open and accessible,
> that's probably better than being closed off and a blocker to the success
> of contributors to this project...

Agreed - I see two potential problems that this (P)PMC needs to be
careful about:

a) abuse - someone adding their name their just to get a link from an
Apache domain, but they don't belong on that page

b) favoring one vendor or organization over others, which is not ok
for Apache projects

As long as you're careful about those it's great to be as open as
possible, of course.

-Bertrand

Re: Commercial Support page

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.
Yes, definitely, and great to see you here, and there on the Commercial
Support page, Oliver.

I think we do still need to figure out a way forward with the Commercial
Support page, though if we err on the side of being open and accessible,
that's probably better than being closed off and a blocker to the success
of contributors to this project.

Gj

Re: Commercial Support page

Posted by Oliver Rettig <Ol...@orat.de>.
Hi,

> Yes, looks like people are simply adding entries there at the moment.
>
> Not sure if this is what we want -- maybe that notice needs to be at the
> top of the page.

sorry, I think I am one of the people.  I thought this was the idea of the
wiki page to do this on my own. I do not want to make somebody any additional
work. If I understand the discussion correctly you are afraid the list will
grow a way with people which are not very experienced with Netbeans.

I think I am not known in the netbeans community because the last 10 years I
have worked mainly on netbeans platform applications,  which are not commonly
visible. Projects for companys and mainly scientific desktop applications,
which are used from a very small biomechanis commuity at university of
Heidelberg, Zürich and Tübingen.

I am just thinking about to make more customer projects for companys to be
able to make my biomechanics software open source so that it can be used from
a bigger community. I have spend so much time in this toolchain so that I want
to make useful for more pepole but the biomechanics community is too small to

Re: Commercial Support page

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

On Mon, Jun 12, 2017 at 5:43 PM Geertjan Wielenga <
geertjan.wielenga@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Yes, looks like people are simply adding entries there at the moment.
>
> Not sure if this is what we want -- maybe that notice needs to be at the
> top of the page.

What's the criteria for wiki edit access?  Personally I'd be happy with the
idea of this being open to anyone who's shown commitment to the project. Is
that enough of a gatekeeping process?

I also think that maybe there needs to be a column for a GitHub link or a
> link to a page of with evidence of some kind of work that has been done
> with, e.g., the NetBeans Platform,

+1 and possibly a tags / categories column?  Longer term be nice to serve
this up to the static site as JSON or similar for client-side filtering,
and possibly randomized rather than alphabetical order!

Best wishes,

Neil
--
Neil C Smith
Artist & Technologist

Re: Commercial Support page

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.
Right. I can imagine that.

However, if you're not able to talk at all about the work you've done with
the NetBeans Platform, how is your interview going to work with a
prospective employer? If someone sees your name on the Commercial Support
page and then contacts you, what evidence will you be able to bring to
prove your years of NetBeans Platform experience and the kind of work
you've done with it?

Gj

Re: Commercial Support page

Posted by Richard Lowery <Ri...@guilding.com>.

Re: Commercial Support page

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@apache.org>.
Hm, I was also thinking yesterday that in the new version 'support'
isn't defined. Services sounds better, indeed.

I also find it odd to start offering NetBeans related services and be
virtually unknown and unheard of in the NetBeans community in the past
decade.

But there might be situations where this might happen, like a newly
formed company (although they would have known employees) or maybe
some NATO contractor that was always anonymous on the mailing lists
but now is still able somehow to show some proof of skill/history.

I don't expect such situations to happen too much though. How could
one follow NetBeans development for years and never send or answer
mailing list questions, write on Stack Overflow, report bugs or write
a patch, go to some meetings? How can you not run into any bugs?

But if past involvement is known there should be no need for
involvement under Apache -- the services offered do have some backing.

Speaking of upstream and positive involvement: my customers were
always very open towards me spending billable time on bugs and submit
patches upstream to NetBeans. It makes total economic sense: you don't
want to maintain an in house fork too much -- once upstream it's
officially supported.

Still, it seems to me a bit harsh, unwelcoming, to expressly reject
such requests. We can handle them on a case by case basis on the
mailing list. Perhaps there are exceptions.

--emi

Pe 14 iun. 2017, la 12:01, Neil C Smith <ne...@googlemail.com> a scris:

Re: Commercial Support page

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@googlemail.com>.

Re: Commercial Support page

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.
One of my ideas for the purpose of the page would be that if I come across
a link like the below, I'd add it to the second table on the page, since
there's a job here for NetBeans Platform developers that I'd like everyone
to know about:

https://www.freelancer.com/projects/Software-Architecture/Fix-Bug-with-Netbean-RCP/

Gj

Re: Commercial Support page

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@gmail.com>.

Re: Commercial Support page

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@googlemail.com>.

Re: Commercial Support page

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.
Yes, good points, I think, Richard.

Re Neil's points: I suspect a lot of people and organisations may be coming
out of the woodworks and that showing commitment to the project in order to
add items to the Commercial Support page could be a blocker for perfectly
well suited job seekers/vacancy fillers who may not be able to show
commitment to the project.

Not sure how to handle this -- though I think a message right at the top
along the lines we've been discussing, i.e., 'should you want to appear on
this page, please drop a mail at the following address first, requiring you
to subscribe to it as follows'. That way we can do a tiny bit of vetting
first without blocking anyone too much.

Gj

On Mon, Jun 12, 2017 at 9:12 PM, Richard Lowery <

Re: Commercial Support page

Posted by Richard Lowery <Ri...@guilding.com>.

Re: Commercial Support page

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.

Re: Commercial Support page

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@gmail.com>.

Re: Commercial Support page

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Re: Commercial Support page

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@gmail.com>.
I've introduced the additions policy based on the TomEE policy and
I've explained that we use alphabetical ordering (same as Hadoop and
others).

I've also introduced the TomEE 'process' where offerings must start on
the mailing list and only be added on the page by the PPMC.

I suggest we implicitly accept an offering within a few days unless
there is a negative vote (similar to
https://community.apache.org/committers/lazyConsensus.html#stating-lazy-consensus
). Does this sound good?

If the format and rules look OK I'll send another email (on the dev@
mailing list?) asking for myself to be (re)added on the 'People and
Companies for Hire'.

--emi

Re: Commercial Support page

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Re: Commercial Support page

Posted by Zoran Sevarac <se...@gmail.com>.
Wow, this is a great step! I'm very happy to see this happpening

On Mon, Jun 12, 2017 at 10:58 AM, Geertjan Wielenga <

--
Dr Zoran Sevarac, Assistant Professor
Department of Software Engineering

Re: Commercial Support page