Posted to dev@velocity.apache.org by Jochen Toppe <jo...@jtoee.com> on 2004/09/24 14:35:19 UTC

Exception Chaining

Hi!

I was just reading the archives of this list (sorry, just subscribed) and saw that there was some discussion on "swallowed exceptions".

I added velocity into a major portal software (the templates are even kept in a CMS) and am fairly happy with it with a few exceptions:

  - Exception chaining. If there is an exception somewhere in a class bound
    to the context I would love not only to see a veloc. exception but the
    entire cause chain (ok, yes, that would bind you to jdk1.4+). But my
    experience is that it is really hard to see the cause of the error.
    In my case the template developer doesn't see the logfile of our servlet
    engine but writes the templates in a CMS and expects a nice error
    message with a good explanation if the rendering fails (i.e. only
    interacts with the browser). I can think of workarounds, but they're not
    pretty :)

  - I18N in error messages, typed exceptions. The error messages are mostly
    hardcoded. If line and column numbers are specified they are
    string-appended into the message in various formats. That makes it
    hard to create nice error boxes to the user with maybe even IDE support
    (highlight the bad line etc)

Thoughts? :)

Cheers from Hamburg (DE),
     Jochen Toppe

RE: Exception Chaining

Posted by Brett Sutton <bs...@idatam.com.au>.
I agree the lack of the chained exception is a real pain.

>  - Exception chaining. If there is an exception somewhere in a class bound
>    to the context I would love not only to see a veloc. exception but the
>    entire cause chain (ok, yes, that would bind you to jdk1.4+). But my
We could use o.a.commons.lang.exception.NestableException.  ;)

Best regards,
-- Shinobu Kawai

--
Shinobu Kawai(shinobu.kawai@gmail.com)