Posted to user@phoenix.apache.org by Steve Howard <st...@gmail.com> on 2015/09/03 12:44:27 UTC

Phoenix query server user authentication?

We are interested in using HBase as a backend solution for an SSO stack
that supports persistent backend stores with a JDBC interface.  We would
like to authenticate between the SSO server and the HBase store by using
the phoenix query server.

Goal:
---------

client --> SSO --> phoenix query server (https) --> LDAP --> If successful

                  phoenix query server (https) --> HBase (normal phoenix
connection to HBase)

The docs state it supports only an http transport between the client (SSO,
in this case) and the phoenix query server.  We are curious about two
things:

* Has any consideration been given to supporting https?
* Has any consideration been given to authenticating a user in the phoenix
query server, similar to what hive uses when it can be configured to
authenticate with LDAP?  This is outside of kerberos, this is just phoenix
reaching out to check a username/password combination

If we can't do this, I don't think it will pass governance testing.

Re: Phoenix query server user authentication?

Posted by Andrew Purtell <an...@gmail.com>.
I think instead of the change as proposed it would be cleaner and more flexible to introduce a plug point in the query server for authentication. Then there could be reusable plugins for extracting the common SSO tokens (like JWT or SAML) and validating them against the common identity providers like LDAP or AD. The plugins would get their configuration particulars out of the site file. Users could implement additional plugins for extracting username and passwords sent along in an X-header or whatever custom thing they are up to.  For plugin implementation guidance, you might want to look at how other Apache projects that deal with these concerns do it, like Knox.

Posted by Steve Howard <st...@gmail.com>.
Hi Nick,

Posted by Nick Dimiduk <nd...@gmail.com>.
Hi Steve,