Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Jan Willem Penterman <jw...@shapers.nl> on 2002/08/03 13:21:49 UTC

Howto Debian 3.0/Cocoon2 setup?

Hi,

I'm new to the list, so excuse me if I'm asking all old and dumb questions. I did my best trying to search the archives for a solution to my problems, but I have the feeling I'm just making things worse instead of better. First of all, I have an apt-get problem regarding packages tomcat, tomcat4 and cocoon2. The point is, that cocoon2 won't install unless I install Tomcat 3. But I read everywhere that I better use Tomcat4 for Cocoon2 instead of Tomcat3. So now I have both Tomcat3 and 4 running (these run fine, both on J2SE Blackdown-1.3.1-FCS), and Cocoon2 got put inside the Tomcat3 webapps dir.

Well I was quite happy actually to see the Cocoon itself was giving me error messages. These had something to do with some classes which were being tried to load in tomcat/webapps/cocoon2/WEB-INF/web.xml:

<init-param>
      <param-name>load-class</param-name>
      <param-value>
        <!-- For IBM WebSphere: -->
        com.ibm.servlet.classloader.Handler

        <!-- For Database Driver: -->
        org.hsqldb.jdbcDriver
      </param-value>
    </init-param>

So I commented com.ibm..  and org.hsq... out. This got me a little further, but still I got an error message like this:

org.apache.cocoon.ProcessingException: The sitemap handler's sitemap is not available.

(I'm not able to paste the whole stacktrace including the 'cause' at this moment, because I can only use lynx on an ssh term from where I am at the moment, and lynx is acting weird on me)

Nothing was/is written to the cocoon.log file.

So I gave up on Cocoon2/Tomcat3, downloaded the 2.0.3 binaries to my tomcat4 dir and unpacked the cocoon.war file to my webapps dir. From what I understand it should be automatically unwarred, but I didn't get that far. I get a 500 error again , with root cause:

java.security.AccessControlException: access denied (java.util.PropertyPermission javax.xml.parsers.SAXParserFactory read)

I found this error in the archives, with some short answers on howto change java.policy files. But I guess I'm a little too unexperienced to understand what I should do. I tried some things in java.policy and catalina.policy files, but with no result at all. The solution should be in something like:

grant codeBase "file:${catalina.home}/webapps/cocoon/-" {
            permission java.util.PropertyPermission "*", "read";
            };

But I don't know where to put this (java.policy, catalina.policy?) and what I have to put in there exactly, whatever i try I still get the AccessControlException. Also tried manually unwarring cocoon.war, but didn't help aswell.

Now has anybody got this Cocoon2 thing up and running on Debian3.0/woody with any version of Tomcat? If so, I'd really like to know what I should do to get the same results...if not, I'm gonna try it on WinXP... Somehow I got the feeling XP isn't going to get me into more trouble than Debian, but it would be a big disappointment now that I have all my other server apps running on a Debian machine. And I'm sure it must be possible...but HOW?

Thankx for taking the time to read this :)

JW
Shapers
www.shapers.nl

Re: Howto Debian 3.0/Cocoon2 setup?

Posted by Kazimierz Pogoda <mo...@ncdc.pl>.
On Sat, 3 Aug 2002 13:21:49 +0200
"Jan Willem Penterman" <jw...@shapers.nl> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm new to the list, so excuse me if I'm asking all old and dumb
> questions. I did my best trying to search the archives for a solution to
> my problems, but I have the feeling I'm just making things worse instead
> of better. First of all, I have an apt-get problem regarding packages
> tomcat, tomcat4 and cocoon2. The point is, that cocoon2 won't install
> unless I install Tomcat 3. But I read everywhere that I better use
> Tomcat4 for Cocoon2 instead of Tomcat3. So now I have both Tomcat3 and 4
> running (these run fine, both on J2SE Blackdown-1.3.1-FCS), and Cocoon2
> got put inside the Tomcat3 webapps dir.

I am using tomcat4 on debian woody to run cocoon. Here are steps you
can follow on fresh system (tocmat3 is not required,
i am using j2sdk1.4 becouse of -headless flag):

 - unpack sun's j2sdk1.4 in /usr/local/j2sdk1.4.0_01
 - apt-get install java-virtual-machine-dummy
 - change /etc/java-vm file to point to /usr/local/j2sdk1.4.0_01/bin/java
 - run update-alternatives --config java if needed
 - get tomcat4 package from sid, and all dependencies, install everything
with
   dpkg.
 - edit /etc/tomcat4/defaults (you can disable security to run cocoon
   easly)
 - put cocoon.war in /var/lib/tocat4/webapps

Now you can probably make /etc/init.d/tocat4 start and enjoy your fresh
cocoon
install. Feel free to ask more debian/cocoon related questions on priv.

--
"the spirit can only withdraw into a corner. And yet, it is not at all
 worn out or superfluous, but, like an (eternal) witness, floats above

RE: Howto Debian 3.0/Cocoon2 setup?

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.
Jan,

Now has anybody got this Cocoon2 thing up and running on Debian3.0/woody
with any version of Tomcat? If so, I'd really like to know what I should
do to get the same results...if not, I'm gonna try it on WinXP...
Somehow I got the feeling XP isn't going to get me into more trouble
than Debian, but it would be a big disappointment now that I have all my
other server apps running on a Debian machine. And I'm sure it must be
possible...but HOW?
<<<<

You already have 1.3.1, and it will be *really* simple to install Cocoon
if you:

1. Get Tomcat from:
http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-tomcat-4.0/release/v4.0.4/bin/
And unzip it in any convenient dir.

2. Get cocoon.war, this way (binary dist) or another (source dist).
Source dist gives you more flexibility (see
http://xml.apache.org/cocoon/installing/index.html)

3. Drop cocoon.war into tomcat/webapps, restart tomcat. If does not
unpack, unzip it manually, remove .war, restart tomcat.

Vadim