Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Thess Bermudez <th...@gmail.com> on 2016/05/02 15:18:32 UTC

Locky Attack

Hi,

Has anyone been attacked by a ransomware named Locky? Our company was hit
with the encryption of the js files running in our Apache Tomcat 7.0. Good
thing that we have daily app backups that made us not give in to the
"ransom" requirement. We also reinstalled everything in our server..
Databases are intact but the corrupted/encrypted webapp files were replaced
by files with .locky extension.

Would appreciate if anyone can share similar experience and how you've
dealt with it.

Thank you,

Thess

Re: Locky Attack

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: Locky Attack

Posted by Johan Compagner <jc...@servoy.com>.
How did they get in?
what security hole was used there?

--
Johan Compagner
Servoy

Re: Locky Attack

Posted by Olaf Kock <to...@olafkock.de>.
I can't say how I "have dealt" with it. Only how I plan to in case it
hits: Restore backups, educate colleagues. If it hasn't hit yet, there's
an argument to have watchdogs that watch out for suspicious massive file
changes on file servers. But I'm not sure if they already exist, and if
they're able to signal the infected client to shut down immediately.

The time is over where people can be ignorant about attacks - "What
would they want from me?" - the answer nowadays is: "Your money". And
it's real.

As I like to state when I'm in system administration trainings: You are
only allowed to call something a backup, if you've *recently*
*demonstrated* that you're able to *restore* to a totally new system
with what you intend to call a backup. Otherwise it's a random set of
data, copied from your live system, not a backup.

Olaf