Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com> on 2007/05/23 15:21:25 UTC

Re: CAD files, Images

No, you can only index text. It's the same thing as indexing HTML
documents or XML documents. You index "important stuff" from
the guts of the doc.

So, if you can get some text out of these docs, you can index *that*,
possibly along with page information that allows you to, say, display
the relevant page in the original CAD app.

But there's nothing in core Lucene that just takes a CAD doc and
"does magic" to index it that I know of.

Erick

Re: CAD files, Images

Posted by jim shirreffs <jp...@verizon.net>.
thank you for the reply, I knew the answer but was compelled to ask anyway.
CAD files like AutoCad/ProE/CaTia do contain some useful text and it is
possible to get at that and
index it. But mostly it's vectors and there is not much a text engine can do
with a vectors.

thanks again.

jim s