Posted to dev@lucenenet.apache.org by Michael Herndon <mh...@wickedsoftware.net> on 2011/07/28 04:11:51 UTC

[Lucene.Net] style cop, fx cop rules

Does anyone have any preferred rules that they want ignored or want required
for the project for either Fx Cop or Style Cop?

It might be prudent to wait on putting style cop int the project, it
currently doesn't have a command line client and if installed it would
generate warnings on each time someone builds on their local.

- Michael.

Re: [Lucene.Net] style cop, fx cop rules

Posted by Michael Herndon <mh...@wickedsoftware.net>.
I've put * my local git branch.

On Fri, Aug 5, 2011 at 3:45 PM, Michael Herndon <mherndon@wickedsoftware.net

Posted by Michael Herndon <mh...@wickedsoftware.net>.
Hey all,

Posted by Scott Lombard <lo...@gmail.com>.
The only problem with some modifying the code in this manor is it is going
to make it difficult to manually port from Java.  Digy has talked about this
in the past and can provide more detail.  The summary is that as the code
and comments diverge from the Java code it gets harder port Java patches.  I

Posted by Michael Herndon <mh...@wickedsoftware.net>.
StyleCop by default adheres strictly to ms coding guidelines and then some.
 http://blogs.msdn.com/b/brada/archive/2005/01/26/361363.aspx (even though a

Posted by Troy Howard <th...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Prescott Nasser <ge...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Christopher Currens <cu...@gmail.com>.
I don't think there's any harm in putting StyleCop in the project at this
stage, but of course, no harm not putting it in either.  It would be handy
for people who already have VS2008/2010, as we could keep Lucene with the
same style format across the project as a whole.

IMO, I think the Naming, Maintainability, and layour rules are the most
important.  I use R#, so many of the default ones there are the ones I'm
partial to.  For example, I like my private fields to start with
underscores. I like my private properties, method names, public fields to be
in pascal case.  I like local variables and method parameters to use camel
case.  I dislike hungarian notation.  I like only one class per file, and
one namespace per file, those being in the maintainability rules.

I would like to hear other people's opinions on this, or maybe one of us
should just make a rule set and have everyone else look over it.

Thanks,
Christopher

On Wed, Jul 27, 2011 at 7:11 PM, Michael Herndon <